Strawberry Filling Question

Baking By aprilfromLa Updated 5 Dec 2013 , 2:39am by mfeagan

aprilfromLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilfromLa Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 7

AHey guys I'm making a wasc for a Saturday party for my aunt. I want to put strawberry filling between the layers. I need a good recipe. I've found a few on here and the net but can't decide. And i need to know how far in advance I can make the filling and how to store it. Tia

6 replies
aprilfromLa Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 7

AHow would Betty crockers canned cherry frosting taste?

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 7

Yuck. I wouldn't use a canned cherry frosting…I hate cherries anyway…yeah I'm weird like that. 

For an easy strawberry filling, I usually use Seedless All Fruit jam. Heat up the jar (don't burn yourself), add a package of strawberry jell-o. Let sit until jelled. It stays smooth. Doesn't taste nasty because of the addition of the jello. 

You can make it days ahead, store in the fridge and just take out and let it come up to room temp if it's not spreadable…it should be though!

Baking Sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Sis Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 7

Wow! I wish there were a 'like' button!!  Thank you for sharing that method; my daughter loves anything strawberry.

aprilfromLa Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 7

AYea I kinda figured the cherry wouldn't taste that great but I like cherry sometimes and thought about getting that frosting for a minute. I bought frozen strawberries tho so no I'm going to find a recipe using that. I also kinda wondered what vanilla pudding would taste like but I'm sure that wouldn't work well for a layered cake.

mfeagan Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 2:37am
post #6 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by aprilfromLa 

Yea I kinda figured the cherry wouldn't taste that great but I like cherry sometimes and thought about getting that frosting for a minute.
I bought frozen strawberries tho so no I'm going to find a recipe using that. I also kinda wondered what vanilla pudding would taste like but I'm sure that wouldn't work well for a layered cake.

Haha!! I'm sure those who like cherry would like the frosting. Count me out! Definitely a cherry hater! The smell nauseates me. LOL!

You can do frozen strawberries, but you have to thaw them first and probably would want to drain them in a sieve for a little while. I would honestly cook them over a low heat so the juices come out. Then you could puree them and add them to something like Swiss meringue buttercream. Adding pureed strawberries or any fruit to a regular American buttercream will thin it out. 

You definitely can use vanilla pudding, but you need to make it thicker. Add less milk if using an instant pudding, but cook and serve would taste a lot better. I would add less milk to it as well. It will be more of a custard. 

Now if you want to get really professional, get a pastry cream recipe. It's like a vanilla pudding, but thicker and WAAAY better! Very easy to make! 

mfeagan Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 2:39am
post #7 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baking Sis 

Wow! I wish there were a 'like' button!!  Thank you for sharing that method; my daughter loves anything strawberry.

Sure! I want to say I found it on here like 5 or 6 years ago! I am definitely not the maker-upper! ha! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%