Can I Cover Simple Fondant-Covered Cupcakes In Saran Wrap To Ship?

Baking By NYAcupcake Updated 30 Nov 2013 , 12:08am by -K8memphis

NYAcupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYAcupcake Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 2:16am
post #1 of 9

can I cover simple fondant-covered cupcakes in saran wrap to ship? i want to make sure that when they pull off the saran wrap it won't also pull off the fondant.

Each will be wrapped individually and placed into a plastic cupcake container that securely holds 12 cupcakes in individual compartments.

8 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 4:47am
post #2 of 9

AIf the boxes securely hold the cupcakes, and they are covered with fondant why would you use the Saran wrap as well? I'm sure this reads as a sarcastic comment, but that's not my intention. I just don't understand the reasoning behind it.

Depending on the type of icing & fillings I would be more concerned about your goodies getting there without spoiling or melting. I've only received perishable items, never sent any, but they were packaged simply in plastic containers along with a special thermal packaging system-gel ice packs or something similar.

Hopefully, someone with some experience will offer more advise.

NYAcupcake Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 9

The saran wrap will hold them in place even further. I don't worry about spoiling as I am overnighting them. I also don't want to add ice packs as I don't want them to make the fondant sweat once thawed.

I did not think you were sarcastic at all! I appreciate the comment!! xx

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 9

the biggest issue is wiggle room--so long as the box can be moved around every which way without any movement of the precious cargo your'e cool--

i used to receive packages where the idiots (because they never caught on) that packaged them --would carefully  stack all the items up in a beautiful fashion without any regard to how much movement the carefully stacked items would receive on the way to my house--heavy items would sling holes in the box where the small items would leak out on their merry way--total disaster time after time--

so your cakes need to be secured inside there--no wiggle room--

hope that works out for you

-K8memphis Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 9

actually the box needs to be able to be slightly shaken every which way without damage to the precious cargo--because that is the pathway it is being put on--

NYAcupcake Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 9

I agree. I am going to stick lollipop sticks into each cupcake, and surround the containers themselves with enough stuffing to ensure that there is zero wiggle room. Thank you for that post!

-K8memphis Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 9

ok cool--that will ensure that the cupcake holder arrives intact/uncrushed--the cake can wiggle down the sucker stick if the box is upturned--or lands on it's side--

i mailed a tea ring last year and i made sure that there was enough stuffing to hold everything even if it was upturned-- 

it sounds like you have enough for everything except for upturned--you might need a cardboard  'o' ring to sit on top of each one to keep it in place --y'know like if you were making a paper garland for a christmas tree--something to keep it secured in one place

do you remember pizza hut used to place a little plasticc dooey in the middle of the pizza boxes to keep the box lid from sticking to the cheese? you need a mini sps to set upside down on top of the cupcakes to hold them in place to ensure safe arrival

sorry if i'm being too detailed but when you get different food items delivered to you note how impeccably  skillful they ship them--nothing left to chance

hope all goes well!

NYAcupcake Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 11:33pm
post #8 of 9

No not too detailed at all....you have an excellent point!!!!! I really appreciate your replies! You say Mini SPS...what is an SPS.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 12:08am
post #9 of 9

single plate system to hold up a tier cake--it's in essence a small 'table' set inside one cake to hold up the one on top of it--but in your case you'd use it upside down to sit flat on the top of the cupcake and the legs go up to fill the distance--

so you need like a rose nail--or picture a rose nail with more than one leg and place it upside down on the cupcake to maintain the distance between the top of the cupcake and the holder--

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%