Please Help! How Do I Store Fondant Cake Completed Day Before B'day?

Decorating By OliviaR Updated 26 Nov 2013 , 4:56pm by h0mesweeth0me

OliviaR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OliviaR Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 6:39am
post #1 of 5

AI am making my first fondant cake, a minion from Despicable Me, for a friend whose birthday is on Friday. I will complete the entire cake on Thursday ( Thanksgiving ) and am confused with how to store it overnight., along with some other questions.

I live in South Florida with air conditioning present. I am using Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix, Betty Crocker icing to crumb coat and Wilton Fondant. It will be a 6" round - 4 layer cake.

1) I will bake cakes Wednesday evening, cool, wrap in Saran and freeze overnight. How long does cake need to thaw (unwrapped on counter) prior to me leveling, layer and crumb coat? Does it need to be completely defrosted?

2) After crumb coat, do I place in fridge while rolling fondant? I expect this to take some time, as it's my first and I need to dye different colors, create overalls, eye, goggles. So, do I leave crumb coat cake in fridge during process or leave on counter.

3) When cake is decorated and done on Thursday, how do I store it till next morning? I am not sure when I will complete it, as it is thanksgiving, but it will be finished Thursday. Do I store on counter, fridge, freezer? Do I leave it uncovered?

Thank you so much. I have read several posts and learned a lot, but several catered to different time periods of creation and eating. Appreciate your input.

4 replies
Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 9:27am
post #2 of 5

I am not familiar with the temperature/humidity issues you might have, but I almost always bake on a Wednesday for a Saturday cake....

So I don't know why you're freezing overnight?

This is what I would do (I don't use fillings that need to be refrigerated!)

Bake on Wednesday, allow to cool and then wrap in foil and then Saran and leave over night to 'settle'.  Decorate Thursday (and Friday, depending on how much decoration there is).  Once covered with fondant (I also use marzipan under my fondant as I like the smooth finish I get) the cake is 'sealed' and will be fine for at least two or three days.

Suzanne x

SweetCarolines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCarolines Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 5

I live in a very humid area as well and I just leave it overnight. If it's raining really bad and the humidity is terrible, I leave it in a room with the air conditioner on.

If the cake is going to be decorated a day after it's baked you don't need to freeze it. You're just gonna be sitting around waiting for it to defrost and wasting time.

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliviaR 

I am making my first fondant cake, a minion from Despicable Me, for a friend whose birthday is on Friday. I will complete the entire cake on Thursday ( Thanksgiving ) and am confused with how to store it overnight., along with some other questions.

I live in South Florida with air conditioning present. I am using Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix, Betty Crocker icing to crumb coat and Wilton Fondant.

With a/c, I would place a completed cake in a cardboard cake box to protect it and leave it on the counter.  I've never used that type of frosting under fondant - is the consistency very soft?

h0mesweeth0me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
h0mesweeth0me Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 5

AHi- a few points in response to your questions. Sometimes I dye all my fondant a week in advance as it stores well and takes some pressure off of getting the cake ready in time. After crumb coating I always fridge it. Some people say that applying fondant to a cold cake can give air bubbles, but I like the sturdiness of a cold cake- so I take it out a few minutes before applying the fondant. It try to make gum paste pieces (the minion glasses, maybe?) also a few days in advance so they dry properly. After completing the cake I like to fridge it, and cover it with a box if my fridge is smelly or humid. But as you are using Betty Crocker frosting, I think it is quite stable and you could keep it out for sure for a day maybe even too if the a/c is on. Betty Crocker frosting has no raw eggs and has a good shelf life so that's why I think it is less of a worry than 'perishable' frosting like some SMBC. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%