Fda Ruling Could Ban Shortening With Trans Fats In Us

Decorating By jason_kraft Updated 26 Nov 2013 , 2:07pm by milkmaid42

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 4:15pm
post #91 of 202

I just made some brownies from scratch and they're really good, yum yum yum. They have booze in them, too.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 4:31pm
post #92 of 202

A

Original message sent by embersmom

When the icing we currently use was first reformulated, it caused a lot of problems both in using it and with the taste.  The company has since reformulated it again, so now the taste is OK, but the application of it is still off because whatever they're substituting for the trans-fat is very temperature-sensitive.  I mean, we have to leave it over by the oven in the dead of winter in order to get it soft enough to use it!  During the warmer months it's a gloppy, noncrusting mess, so soft you can't really pipe anything with it.

We had a similar issue with our dairy-free BC frosting made with Sweetex Z during very hot days...we were working in a commercial kitchen and if it was too warm we would have to do the piping in the walk-in fridge. For those doing baking from home you would need to blast the A/C on hot days to make sure the frosting doesn't get too warm.

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 6:38pm
post #93 of 202

The thing I don't understand about zero trans fat shortening is that they contain mono and di-glycerides. From everything I read they are trans fats, but since they contain less than .5 grams, you can label it trans-fat free. I wonder if the zero trans fat shortenings (like Sweetex-Z) that use mono- and di-glycerides will have to be reformulated too.  This will be interesting to see how it pans out. Since my niche is dairy-free I use shortening.  Many of my customers avoid soy-based products entirely so I primarily use 100% palm oil.  I have used Sweetex-Z in the past (which is mostly palm oil too), and I will say that I love it and hate it because of the emulsifiers.  The emulsifiers help in that  it is the only way (I know at least) to fully incorporate fruit, dairy-free yogurts, and other things into frosting without the use of eggs without the frosting seperating. It is harder to work with because it is so airy, which I think is a result of the polysorbate 60 (whipping aid). I tend to have less problems with 100% palm oil.  Life would be easier if I could just use butter and eggs, but I can't.  I foresee if things like Sweetex-Z are eliminated too, my entire menu will have to change and I will no longer be able to make things like  real strawberry frosting or mock cream cheese frostings. I know trans fat and mono-diglycerides are not the best, but they do provide alternatives for those that can't have dairy or egg products, but can tolerate soy derivatives like mono and di-glycerides. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 6:41pm
post #94 of 202

i think parchment bags also reduce on the heat transfer of hot hands/atmosphere to melty icing--also using two bags in & out the fridge--blasting the air is too costly pour moi--

i have also worn gloves to pipe but that's mostly to keep me from getting burned on hot sugar but it sure would work to maintain the icing temp too

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

I just made some brownies from scratch and they're really good, yum yum yum. They have booze in them, too.

omg--baked stuff with booze (and booze is trans fat free ;) is the best imo--here's a good one--sugar free jello is the bombshabomb with a dash of grand marnier or rum ;)

a dash!

jason_kraft Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 8:00pm
post #95 of 202

A

Original message sent by tdovewings

The thing I don't understand about zero trans fat shortening is that they contain mono and di-glycerides. From everything I read they are trans fats, but since they contain less than .5 grams, you can label it trans-fat free. I wonder if the zero trans fat shortenings (like Sweetex-Z) that use mono- and di-glycerides will have to be reformulated too.  This will be interesting to see how it pans out. Since my niche is dairy-free I use shortening.  Many of my customers avoid soy-based products entirely so I primarily use 100% palm oil.

Reformulation of existing ZTF shortening products is certainly a possibility, it depends if the trans fat ban applies to both lipids and emulsifiers. The FDA labeling requirement for trans fat exempted emulsifiers. If emulsifiers are in scope for the ban, it's possible for one or more manufacturers to submit a food additive petition to the FDA arguing that the benefits of small amounts of mono and diglycerides outweigh the risks.

Regarding soy-free we used Spectrum shortening (100% palm oil) to offer soy-free frosting as an alternative but the taste and texture of the Sweetex-Z based frosting was superior. If Sweetex-Z was not available I'm sure we would be able to improve on the quality of the Spectrum frosting but it would require more R&D.

As an illustration of what is possible with even more restrictive rules, check out the Whole Foods list of banned ingredients. I can see many items on this list eventually being addressed by future FDA regulation. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/about-our-products/quality-standards/unacceptable-ingredients-food

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 11:04pm
post #96 of 202

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

As an illustration of what is possible with even more restrictive rules, check out the Whole Foods list of banned ingredients. I can see many items on this list eventually being addressed by future FDA regulation. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/about-our-products/quality-standards/unacceptable-ingredients-food

That is pretty funny, because I bought a box full of mini desserts from the Whole Foods dessert case this summer, and the ingredient list they printed me included sleeve fillings and lots of unpronounceable items.  Wish I still had it, and I would post it here.  The desserts were mediocre at best, and certainly didn't contain only the purest of ingredients.

Liz

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 12:46am
post #97 of 202

AYes,Liz. Its going to get very ugly.

I would offer a word advice. I don't know if it was this thread or another but the solution is not stock up on all the hi ratio you can find. Switch now. The one with all butter really does taste good :)

liz at sugar Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 1:05am
post #98 of 202

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

Yes,Liz. Its going to get very ugly.

I would offer a word advice. I don't know if it was this thread or another but the solutn is not stock up on all the hi ratio you can find. Switch now. The one with all butter really does taste good icon_smile.gif

I don't use any shortening or margarine, so it doesn't affect me. :)  Part of my unique selling proposition is that I use all natural ingredients, baked from scratch.  So all of my recipes, including cookies and pie crusts use real butter.  And I will add that it took a lot of testing and r & d to find the best recipes and methods for using real butter, which behaves differently in baking than man made products.  But I love butter, so that wasn't a stretch for me.

Liz

morganchampagne Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 1:14am
post #99 of 202

AOh no that wasn't directed at you! I think I read somewhere before you use butter...i was just agreeing with you that it was going to get ugly. Sorry about that

liz at sugar Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 1:28am
post #100 of 202

That's ok Morgan . . . I do wonder who this will affect more - smaller bakers or larger in store bakeries?  Many in store bakeries use Bettercreme style products - I am not sure if that style product has trans fats, but I'm sure their cake mixes probably do, so there is where they will be affected. (Along with the pastries/doughnuts/etc.)

But smaller bakers might be affected doubly if they use both mixes and products like Sweetex - it really could throw a wrench in the works.

Liz

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 2:18am
post #101 of 202
Quote:

The article you linked to does not mention banning anything besides trans fat. Regulating the max amount of sugar or salt per serving size is a possibility, albeit a remote one. Here is the crux of the article's point:

"In an interview Thursday, Willett cautioned that regulating sodium and sugar as additives would hardly be as easy as making a decision to ban trans fats. While trans fats have no nutritional value, salt is an essential nutrient. And sugar, when consumed at reasonable levels, is not harmful, he said. If it is to act on mounting scientific concern about dietary sodium and sugar, the FDA will have to rethink the assumption that an additive it considers as safe "is safe in any amount," Willett said."

So...it won't be as 'easy' a decision to ban salt and sugar...I mean you can't take it out of products because sugar is not always so unhealthy and salt is an essential nutrient..so that means they must look at an alternative way to protect people from themselves.   But how? 
Hmmm...it must be something that sounds like they're really concerned about the healthcare of the chronically stupid.   Something that will look good on paper and appeal to those who think they're really  making a difference when in fact they are NOT..let's see Hmmmm...think....what can they do?  OH! Hey! How about putting a TAX on salt and sugar?   It's the obvious 'solution' for them not being able to do an outright ban on sugar and salt!
I can hear the arguments now..."If we can't stop people from making their own decisions about their own life, then by golly we'll force them PAY for it!   And we'll line up studies (generally from Universities and 'independent' research facilities that receive federal grants) that show all the terrible side effects of this evil rock called 'salt' and it's chubby natural-cane sidekick and beet brother, 'sugar'! 
We'll rally every health guru in the nation to decry the use of these products and demand that any restaurant that dares to flavor their food with them will have to not only pay a tax on the product when they purchase it to cook with...but also pay a 'user' tax to the government for submitting these substances to an 'uneducated' public who, in their naivety and trust,  have only ever assumed that everything they ate was pure, natural,  FDA approved sawdust,
And since the public is also so gullible about saving the world from evil manufacturers, we'll convince them that the rising cost of their products are a direct result of these 'predatory profit mongers' desire to make more money at the expense of the health of the consumer...and not as the result of them having to pay higher and higher taxes on the sugar and salt they use to make the products consumers want.
And we'll find low-information people who buy into this and who will be HAPPY to pay a higher tax if they can stop little Johnny from being chubby...never mind that he sits on his arse all day playing video games.  Video games have no salt or sugar, so how can they be bad for you?"
If you think they won't eventually stick a hefty tax on sugar and salt both in individual purchases and in products, then you are very naive.  This WILL impact all baking and decorating on every level!  We deal in sugar and salt...and fat!  The Unholy Trinity!  The wheels are already in motion.

jason_kraft Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 2:31am
post #102 of 202

A@carmijok

1. Regulating a food additive is not necessarily the same as banning it. If you read the last sentence of my quote, you will see that the issue is more that "safe" is not the same as "safe in any amount". 2. The FDA does not have the power to levy taxes. 3. If somehow the FDA was able to get Congress to pass a tax on salt and sugar, it would essentially be a national sales tax on all food. Somehow I doubt this will happen in our current political environment. 4. My earlier question still stands about your previous statement that a "sugar tax is happening", from what you've posted it seems like a sugar tax is more farfetched speculation than anything that is currently happening. I would be interested in seeing a single reputable source indicating that anyone is seriously talking about a tax on all sugar and/or salt.

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 2:43am
post #103 of 202

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

I do wonder who this will affect more - smaller bakers or larger in store bakeries?  Many in store bakeries use Bettercreme style products - I am not sure if that style product has trans fats, but I'm sure their cake mixes probably do, so there is where they will be affected. (Along with the pastries/doughnuts/etc.)

But smaller bakers might be affected doubly if they use both mixes and products like Sweetex - it really could throw a wrench in the works.

Liz

My guess it's going to affect us big time in all areas.  Most of our bread/roll dough comes in frozen and some kind of shortening is used in it.  Ditto the pastries, the donuts, the muffins, the icing, the cakes...probably even the Bettercreme, which I don't recall whether or not contains trans-fats.  When the first no trans-fat regulation came around, many of the items we received from vendors who reformulated their product were nothing like the product they had beforehand.  Either the taste was off, or the texture, or something that you couldn't quite put a finger on.  I've already explained what happened with our regular icing.  Our sales fell during that period because people returned product saying it didn't taste "right". 

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 2:47am
post #104 of 202
Quote:

That's ok Morgan . . . I do wonder who this will affect more - smaller bakers or larger in store bakeries?  Many in store bakeries use Bettercreme style products - I am not sure if that style product has trans fats, but I'm sure their cake mixes probably do, so there is where they will be affected. (Along with the pastries/doughnuts/etc.)

Liz

During my brief stint as a grocery store decorator, all the icing colors came in buckets which never, ever had to be refrigerated, so that had to be transfat. The list of ingredients I don't remember anymore, but it didn't really seem to contain any real food. They had a whipped icing that had to be refrigerated and if that didn't have transfat, it had transfat-like ingredients.

It may affect me as a smaller baker since it means my competitors who use shortening in their icing may switch to butter and have an icing that can compete with mine in flavor and texture.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 3:59am
post #105 of 202

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdovewings 

The thing I don't understand about zero trans fat shortening is that they contain mono and di-glycerides. From everything I read they are trans fats, but since they contain less than .5 grams, you can label it trans-fat free.

tdovewings:  the trick, and I do mean trickydicktrick, is in thelabeling.

If it says less than .5 grams PER SERVING; a serving is probably a teaspoon or tablespoon. Yes?

It's all still in there, and if you eat lots of it,  you still get lots of it.

However they try to make people believe that they are getting close to Zero amounts by this labeling.

The FDA Government approved labeling permits this subterfuge. (more greased palms)

jason_kraft Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 5:14am
post #106 of 202

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

The FDA Government approved labeling permits this subterfuge. (more greased palms)

And the FDA's proposed ban eliminates this subterfuge, since even <0.5g will no longer be acceptable.

The bigger issue is whether or not emulsifiers will be exempt from the ban.

If it says less than .5 grams PER SERVING; a serving is probably a teaspoon or tablespoon. Yes?

A typical BC recipe calls for 1/2 cup of shortening for 3 cups of frosting. A cupcake usually has about 1/4 cup of frosting, so the amount of shortening in one serving size would be 1/24 cup, or 2/3 tbsp. Serving sizes for shortening are usually 1 tbsp on the label.

morganchampagne Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 5:22am
post #107 of 202

AThe bakery that I worked at may be in big trouble because the icing was all sweetex and every cake was a mix.

they may be able to make it because they sell other things that they surprisingly make from scratch. But the cake department is done-zo.

jason_kraft Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 5:30am
post #108 of 202

A

Original message sent by morganchampagne

The bakery that I worked at may be in big trouble because the icing was all sweetex and every cake was a mix.

they may be able to make it because they sell other things that they surprisingly make from scratch. But the cake department is done-zo.

I doubt the manufacturers of cake mixes made with trans fat will simply abandon their entire product line. Bulk cake mixes are still sold in California so at least some of them have already reformulated ZTF products.

This also won't be happening overnight, in California there was a one year phase out period before the ban was enforced, with an additional year for deep frying dough and batter. The FDA's timeline will probably be similar.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 8:37am
post #109 of 202

U.S. Census report reports California’s population is moving out................................

Where are these former Californians going?

Texas,  Arizona,  Nevada,  Washington State, & Oregon…....

Why?…..'Cause they sell Trans-Fat and their cakes taste good - No. { :top hat:  it’s the high taxes.}

costumeczar Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 11:16am
post #110 of 202

A

Original message sent by liz at sugar

That's ok Morgan . . . I do wonder who this will affect more - smaller bakers or larger in store bakeries? 

It's going to affect "bakers" who don't know how to bake.

liz at sugar Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 12:40pm
post #111 of 202

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Well, if you want to be picky . . . yeah, that could be a problem.  :)

Liz

embersmom Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 12:46pm
post #112 of 202

Quote:

It's going to affect all commercial baking.

It's going to affect everything in the baking aisle at your local supermarket.

It's going to affect the one-person home-based business who can't afford to switch to butter.

It's going to affect specialty bakers.  Somebody around here mentioned being a dairy-free baker and now has to reformulate all her recipes because she doesn't use butter.  It might not have been in this thread, though, but I do remember it being on CC.

I'm trying not to take what you said as an insult and I hope you didn't mean it as an insult toward me or any other supermarket baker;  Once upon I time I DID bake a lot of things from scratch OTJ.  Those days are gone.  Now it's all about maximizing profits in a competitive industry that's getting more competitive every time you turn around.  You can't do that baking everything from scratch.

liz at sugar Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 12:54pm
post #113 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by embersmom 

It's going to affect all commercial baking.

It's going to affect everything in the baking aisle at your local supermarket.

It's going to affect the one-person home-based business who can't afford to switch to butter.

It's going to affect specialty bakers.  Somebody around here mentioned being a dairy-free baker and now has to reformulate all her recipes because she doesn't use butter.  It might not have been in this thread, though, but I do remember it being on CC.

I'm trying not to take what you said as an insult and I hope you didn't mean it as an insult toward me or any other supermarket baker;  Once upon I time I DID bake a lot of things from scratch OTJ.  Those days are gone.  Now it's all about maximizing profits in a competitive industry that's getting more competitive every time you turn around.  You can't do that baking everything from scratch.

Well, an unintended consequence of this ban may be the thinning out of bakeries.  May be good for those who can make it work.

I think you can make a profit making many things from scratch, as long as the quality and taste are great.  Honestly, there are a vast majority more bakeries who just bake off pre-fab stuff vs. making their own, but it isn't all about profit margin - some of it is about skill, and baking is part art and part science and you just can't fill in that spot with any widget that walks in the door for a job.  That is really why all that pre-fab stuff exists.

The one thing I cannot bake from scratch and make a profit is bread - I take my hat off to bakeries who can do that successfully. :)

Liz

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 12:55pm
post #114 of 202

I for one will simply be raising my prices to compensate.  Everyone will have to raise their prices so it may be a bit of a change for the general public, but it happened with gas and we still drive.

I use a butter/crisco combination for Sugarshack's recipe and it turns out beautifully…!  Ordering Sweetex with shipping was quite pricey to me and I noticed not difference in how my buttercream came out.

costumeczar Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 1:08pm
post #115 of 202

I've been baking professionally for almost 20 years, all from scratch, and I've made a good profit every year. Supermarkets are about quantity over quality in order to maximize profits, and that just drives prices lower if you choose to compete on that level, which I don't. I'm like Liz in that my competitive advantage is that I know how to bake and I don't use anything artificial, so this won't affect me one little bit.

It's not going to affect everything in the baking aisle, I don't believe that there will be any problem still buying flour, sugar, unsweetened chocolate, nuts, etc. It will affect cake mixes, which I don't use.

Liz, out of curioisty, why is it not profitable to make bread from scratch? Is it the time involved? It can't be the ingredients if you're talking about a basic artisan bread...

embersmom Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 1:22pm
post #116 of 202

Quote:

Well, an unintended consequence of this ban may be the thinning out of bakeries.  May be good for those who can make it work.

I think you can make a profit making many things from scratch, as long as the quality and taste are great.  Honestly, there are a vast majority more bakeries who just bake off pre-fab stuff vs. making their own, but it isn't all about profit margin - some of it is about skill, and baking is part art and part science and you just can't fill in that spot with any widget that walks in the door for a job.  That is really why all that pre-fab stuff exists.

The one thing I cannot bake from scratch and make a profit is bread - I take my hat off to bakeries who can do that successfully. :)

Liz

:nodding:

One reason why my feathers tend to be ruffled when it comes to this whole supermarket vs. scratch argument is because it DOES take a certain skill to pull off producing a lot of product within a strict time frame.  Not every "widget" can do it. Hell, if I had a dollar for ever "widget" I've tried to train in the past 20+ years, I'd be a very rich woman right now.  I survived two layoffs at my former employer because they couldn't find anyone cheaper to take my place.  The same thing is happening at my current employer right now.  If I'm going to be targeted, it won't be until after the holidays because they KNOW they''ll have trouble finding someone.  They gave up finding someone to cover my days off and ended to training one of my coworkers who definitely doesn't want to do it, but, yeah, she'll do it because she needs her job.

Bread making is an art.  I make it from scratch at home every once in a while.  Right now, though, we're trying to watch our carbs ;)

embersmom Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 1:27pm
post #117 of 202

Quote:

I've been baking professionally for almost 20 years, all from scratch, and I've made a good profit every year. Supermarkets are about quantity over quality in order to maximize profits, and that just drives prices lower if you choose to compete on that level, which I don't. I'm like Liz in that my competitive advantage is that I know how to bake and I don't use anything artificial, so this won't affect me one little bit.

It's not going to affect everything in the baking aisle, I don't believe that there will be any problem still buying flour, sugar, unsweetened chocolate, nuts, etc. It will affect cake mixes, which I don't use.

Liz, out of curioisty, why is it not profitable to make bread from scratch? Is it the time involved? It can't be the ingredients if you're talking about a basic artisan bread...

It's the time factor.  Artisan bread doesn't use any dough enhancers or such to hasten the proofing time, so it takes a lot longer for that process to happen.

We have several artisan bread bakeries in my area, and nearly all of them have had  issues keeping up with demand.  I doubt most of them make everything 100% by hand nowadays, given the demand for their products.  As one of my old managers once said, "You gotta bake a s***load of bread to make a little money."

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 1:36pm
post #118 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

tdovewings:  the trick, and I do mean trickydicktrick, is in thelabeling.

If it says less than .5 grams PER SERVING; a serving is probably a teaspoon or tablespoon. Yes?

It's all still in there, and if you eat lots of it,  you still get lots of it.

However they try to make people believe that they are getting close to Zero amounts by this labeling.

very greasy and still contains trans fats probably

Quote:

And the FDA's proposed ban eliminates this subterfuge, since even <0.5g will no longer be acceptable.

The bigger issue is whether or not emulsifiers will be exempt from the ban.
A typical BC recipe calls for 1/2 cup of shortening for 3 cups of frosting. A cupcake usually has about 1/4 cup of frosting, so the amount of shortening in one serving size would be 1/24 cup, or 2/3 tbsp. Serving sizes for shortening are usually 1 tbsp on the label.

maybe not--subterfuge is what lobbyists are all about

read the last segment on this label for a sugar substitute called Monk Fruit In The Raw--there's more than one fda 'zero'

there's 'zero' and there's 'zero' -- mb is right --

costumeczar Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 1:50pm
post #119 of 202

Quote:

Originally Posted by embersmom 

It's the time factor.  Artisan bread doesn't use any dough enhancers or such to hasten the proofing time, so it takes a lot longer for that process to happen.

We have several artisan bread bakeries in my area, and nearly all of them have had  issues keeping up with demand.  I doubt most of them make everything 100% by hand nowadays, given the demand for their products.  As one of my old managers once said, "You gotta bake a s***load of bread to make a little money."

They should raise their prices if the demand is so high. I figured it was the time but if they have a customer base who's willing to buy it then they should capitalize on that and charge more. The only artisan baker that we had around here had to close when Atkins came along, it ruined his business. I think another one opened recently but they do more than just breads.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 1:52pm
post #120 of 202

I personally don't see what the big deal is.  It's not like cake mixes are going to go "poof" and disappear.  Companies will reformulate as they've done over the years to adapt.  As far as icing, again, I don't see what the big deal is.  Crisco has been 0 trans fat for years and people like Indydebi were still able to use it in their icings.  I remember her saying that she didn't even notice when Crisco went trans fat free.  I have only used a bit of Crisco in my icing when the cake was sitting outside all day in 98 degree weather.  I use all butter so I'm not worried about it.

What's amusing to me is all this hoopla about trans fats when people are still shoveling refined sugars and flours into their faces, but because it's "trans fat free" it's healthy.  That makes me LOL hard. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%