Potentially Hazardous - French Macaron Fillings

Business By Carbivore Updated 4 Nov 2013 , 8:16pm by Carbivore

Carbivore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carbivore Posted 4 Nov 2013 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 6

Hey All,

I'm new to the forum and just started my custom dessert business this past year.  So far I've only catered birthday and celebration parties, and this winter I would like to expand my business to a winter farmers market in IL (Evanston).  I'm planning on selling my french macarons which are filled with ganache and swiss meringue buttercream.  Has anyone else out there sold fillings with ganache and buttercream in IL?  I've contacted the health department and they said that both are hard to tell if it's potentially hazardous and would need to be tested.  I asked about testing, but haven't heard back from them in about a week.

Any suggestions from experienced farmers market participants out there with advice?

Thanks!

Patti

Carbivore, LLC 

5 replies
Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 4 Nov 2013 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 6

Hi, I just looked at your website and read some of your blog (which I thoroughly enjoyed!). I'm in the same area as you.

You shouldn't have any problems selling macaroons at the Evanston FM. You work out of a licensed kitchen and that allows you to make anything (the market allows). If you were baking at home under the cottage food laws of IL than you'd have a lot more restrictions.

Take a look at Bennison's bakery in Evanston (they participate in the farmers market there) whatever they are selling you should be able to, also. I know they make macaroons in their bakery.....do a quick search and see if they sell them at the market also.

Carbivore Posted 4 Nov 2013 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Stitches!  I guess my question really is, do I need to refrigerate?  I don't have portable refrigeration and they seem pretty expensive.  Not to mention macarons taste much better at room temperature than cold.  I've been to many farmers markets around Chicagoland and seen Bennisons and they do not sell their macarons.  However, Bon Macaron sells at the Dose Market, and from what I can taste, she does use ganache?

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 4 Nov 2013 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 6

With the correct ratios in your recipe, your ganache should be fine.  You could search shelf stable ganache for truffles to see how your recipe compares.

Same with SMBC if your egg whites have reached the proper temperature.

Good luck!

Liz

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 4 Nov 2013 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 6

I think your going to find different regulations from county to county.

Ideally, try to see what others are doing (which you've already done) ........but see if you can get a peek behind their tables from another angle. I'd try to talk to someone at the market (either vendors or organizers) about regulations if you can, instead of calling each health dept.. I know that doesn't seem right, but sometimes dealing with the local health dept. can get you different answers from different people working there and leave you still not knowing what you can or can't do.

Contact the people that run Dose and ask them about the regulations........they probably can answer your question quicker than anyone. Since Evanston is Cook County too, that's your answer.

Carbivore Posted 4 Nov 2013 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks to all for your excellent advice.  I'll see what I find and report back!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%