Cream Cheese Icing Question

Business By Bignlittlesmom Updated 5 Nov 2013 , 7:02am by cakestomuch

Bignlittlesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bignlittlesmom Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 3:22am
post #1 of 9

I have recently "stumbled" into working at a small little bakery in my small town. The owner is very new to this business as well, so we are both learning as we go :)  I have a question about how to store cupcakes iced with cream cheese icing. We were told by SC DHEC (South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control) that any item that was iced with cream cheese icing must be stored in a refrigerator. So that means, when we make Red Velvet Cupcakes and ice them with Cream Cheese Icing we have to place them in a fridge instead of in our display counter with our other cupcakes and we end up selling these cupcakes cold to our customers.

Is this something you deal with? Is there a way around this? I have heard that storing cupcakes in the refrigerator drys them out quite fast and I really don't like the idea of selling a cold cupcake to my customers. 

Any ideas or suggestions would be most appreciated! 

Thank you! Julie 

8 replies
LadyMacca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMacca Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 3:58am
post #2 of 9

AWe store all of our cupcakes in a refrigerated case and do not get complaints about ten being dried out even after a few days. We will kind of squeeze them to be sure we aren't serving dry ones, you can tell pretty easily that way.

justdesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justdesserts Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 5:28am
post #3 of 9

I don't like selling cold cupcakes either, but I do have my red velvet with cream cheese icing in the fridge. I usually tell customers that they are best at room temp, but I keep it cold before selling for safety reasons.

Just recently, I bought a cupcake at a local shop. They were all in the cold case, even the ones that didn't need it. I personally thought that it was not enjoyable to eat - the frosting was cold and hard instead of creamy, and the texture of the cake was definitely on the dry side. It would have been soooo much better at room temperature!

Bignlittlesmom Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you so much for the responses. Now I feel much better :) I have been telling our customers that they are best at room temp so it seems like we are doing the right thing ;) I appreciate the information! 

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 9

Buy the commercial shelf stable cream cheese by Brill or Dawn.  It does not need refrigerated.  Don't know how that works...but it doesn't.   The Dawn cream cheese is way more expensive, but I think it is way better than the Brill brand. 

Bignlittlesmom Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the tip ... we will be looking into that ! 

Honey6983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honey6983 Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 12:41am
post #7 of 9

Can you get your cream cheese icing recipe tested for shelf stability? I am in NC and had mine tested through a college and it is shelf stable; they provided paperwork with all the scientific proof that it's fine to be left at room temp. Not sure about the laws in SC but perhaps it's something you can look into.

Bignlittlesmom Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 9

That is very interesting! I will pass the info along to the owner and see what she decides to do :) Thanks for sharing the info!

cakestomuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestomuch Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 6:59am
post #9 of 9

ATexas has a cream cheese recipe that is safe to use. I found it on their cottage food law information.

http://www.texascottagefoodlaw.com/Resources/Recipes/TraditionalCreamCheeseFrosting.aspx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%