Wilton Colour Mist

Decorating By trini Updated 6 Oct 2005 , 3:47pm by freddie

trini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trini Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 13

have any one ever used these food colour spray and was it sucessful i have gotten six as a gift and dont have a clue icon_confused.gif

12 replies
angelcake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcake4u Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 13

I have used it, you have to make sure to shake the can about every 10 seconds so that it does not come out blochy. The only negative is that I think it as a minty taste.

tracyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracyscakes Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 13

They are awesome!!! But you must take off the sprayer and rinse it through every so often or it does spray blotches.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 1:32am
post #4 of 13

I don't like the green which does have a strong minty taste from added peppermint oil. The black and orange I used sprayed like water and never dried. The blue worked really well. I haven't tried any other colors.

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 3:55am
post #5 of 13

According to Wilton they have taken the mint flavoring out of the mists.

I noticed after having trouble with my color mists that I didn't have the spayer pointed at the dot on the can. (Does that make any sense?) I have no idea what that does, but it did help. The only problem I have with them is for dark colors, you have to spray a layer, let it dry, spray again, let it dry, etc. until you get the desired color. Definitely not a good thing for stenciling!

I think that it makes a difference what you are spraying on as far as drying too. Buttercream sucked!

Kelly

Keliames Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keliames Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 4:04am
post #6 of 13

I have only used blue, pink and I thought they all worked out great. Good luck. Keli

TheCakeWizard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeWizard Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 13

Hi, I have used the Wilton spray mist colors. I usually do a quick test spray on a piece of paper towel to be sure it doesn't come out "spotty" but I have not had much trouble using them. I teach cake decorating in Midlothian VA and whenever I teach Course 1, I bring a cake into the first class and decorate it in front of the students. I bring along 2 roses I make at home that I spray color. I use pink on one and violet on the other. They usually come out great!
I also used the spray color red on my carousel cake. The bottom tier is fondant, but the top tier is buttercream. I made a wax paper stencil and sprayed the scalloped shapes on the sides of the cake. I didn't get a perfectly sharp edge, but I think it came out fairly well. Take a look at the 3d Carousel (top tier) in my photos.

I do point the sprayer over the red dot. Don't know if it helps, but I don't get much of a splatter problem. I do spray lightly and if I need it darker, I wait 5 or 10 minutes and apply another light spray.

I use them mostly for background color or for coloring the sides of a cake (I cut a piece of parchment paper the size of the top of the cake to cover it and spray the sides of the cake while turning it on a turntable.) I also used it for "ground cover" on my construction site cake. I used green and a little brown to get dirt and grass colors as a base.

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 13

I've used yellow, black, and blue and have not had a problem with any of them. They cover well and give a nice airbrushed look. You just have to make sure to keep a steady spray going and don't get to close to the cake. I have used the blue and torn paper towel to make sky and clouds on the side of a cake. Worked really well.
Good luck,
Heather

P.S. They also work great if you want the top of your cake to be a different color than the sides. Just coat the top in nice even strokes. I did that with the yellow and it worked really well.

ckirkland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckirkland Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 3:19pm
post #9 of 13

I have all the colors. I bought them when a store close by went out of business and got them really cheap. Anyway, I love them. I only had one time that the color started running, but they was b/c I didn't practice first and put too much on that one spot. I'd let it dry first then add more color. I did my son's birthday cake (YuGiOh), but he wanted a tie-dyed look too. The cake is in my photos. I think with practice you'll love your gift.
Crystal icon_smile.gif

ckirkland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckirkland Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 13

Also, I like that you can still have a colorful cake without turning everyone's mouth different colors.
icon_smile.gif

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 3:30pm
post #11 of 13

I've tried the black & the red, none of my pictures are the cakes I used them in. . .

One tip, if you're gonna use the spray on a fondant covered cake, dye the fondant a similar shade and then spray the color on. That way, if for some reason you don't have even coverage, the "white" fondant below isn't speckeling (spelling?) through. Ya know what I mean?

The hardest colors to dye fondant are red & black . . .
in both my projects, I dye the fondant as close as I could to red and black.
Then I sprayed the cake or pieces and they came out truly great!
Nice deep colors. . .

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 3:37pm
post #12 of 13

kellyh57, I also had a bad experience with stenciling! I can't stand the black I can not get it to come out black it seems to have a purple tent, I have used other colors with great out come

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 3:47pm
post #13 of 13

Hi Trini,
I used the orange spray on my tiger cubs in my photos as I wanted them to have more of a mottled (I think that is a real word) fur look than straight orange and it worked real well, the only thing I noticed is as regular coloring does it darkened when it dried so they were slightly darker than I initially wanted in a few areas. I used it on Buttercream and what I learned was to spray let it dry and spray more if I wanted it darker, if you did it all at once instead of in stages the buttercream could get soft. I never found any taste problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%