Vulcan Vs Deluxe

Business By backerhusband Updated 1 Nov 2013 , 5:59pm by -K8memphis

backerhusband Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backerhusband Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:15am
post #1 of 10

My wife is starting a small bakery, We are looking at a vulcan convection, but was reading an old thread here and was intrested in the Deluxe. Has anyone used both ovens? What would be best for cupcakes and  small cakes? Thanks

9 replies
backerhusband Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 6:18am
post #2 of 10

We need some help, will have to buy ovens soon, anyone have thoughts on the Vulcan or the Deluxe?

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 10

Maybe no one has used both the brands you listed.  There are as many oven preferences as there are members here.  I personally like electric convection, but you have to be able to adjust the convection speed.  Some members on here have purchased ovens that they cannot control the fan speed - it is always on.  That would not be good.

Look at www.webstaurantstore.com.  They have great prices on equipment.  That is where I got my oven.

Liz

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 10

I can't even remember off hand my brand.,,but it's not a Vulcan.   Mine has a fan that cannot be turned off and the speed cannot be controlled.   It makes ugly cupcakes.  It blows the batter.   I cook my cupcakes on the top shelf so it only hits the top part of the fan.   Other than cupcake issue....I love the oven. 

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddaigle 

I can't even remember off hand my brand.,,but it's not a Vulcan.   Mine has a fan that cannot be turned off and the speed cannot be controlled.   It makes ugly cupcakes.  It blows the batter.   I cook my cupcakes on the top shelf so it only hits the top part of the fan.   Other than cupcake issue....I love the oven. 

Yeah, cupcakes just don't like convection fans - even on low fan speed mine get lopsided. 

Liz

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 10

I have two Deluxe ovens in my commercial kitchen.  I bought them because they were supposed to be really good at providing even heat and I'm no a fan of convection for cakes, so I thought the "gentle convection" and radiant hat combination would be a good compromise.  They ovens have been unreliable from the beginning.  They did send both new thermostats and new thermocouples when, at first, we couldn't get the ovens to hold the temperature at which they were set, and that helped most of the time, but they still tend to heat up way beyond what they are set at randomly from time to time.  Also, one of them needs to be re calibrated more frequently than it should.   If you bake on the three shelves at the same time in either oven the cakes will bake at different speeds on each rack, so so much for even heat. Even on the same rack,, two identical cakes will not bake the same on the same shelf.   The Deluxe sales guy, Russ, will try to trouble shoot with you over the hone, but there are no authorized repair people.  When we replaced the thermostats and themocouples they sent, it was my husband who did the work.

And keep in mind that if you want to make things like macarons or anything else that requires no top hear, these ovens will not work.  You can't avoid the top element turning on and the shelves are not adjustable.  I routinely get ugly cupcakes, but theya re not lopsided, so I can't say for sure it is the oven.

I don't think I've ever used a Vulcan oven, but I'd second the idea that you need to be able to control the convection.  I used to bake in a kitchen that had a Blodgett convection oven and the the fact that you couldn't turn off the convection make life interesting,.  We had a complicated routine of hat the oven, put in the cakes, turn off the oven for 8 minutes turn on the oven, etc.  just to avoid the blowing and avoid lopsided cakes.

Unfortunately, there is not a lot of choice when looking for a small commercial oven. I don't know what I'd buy instead of the Deluxe, but I am frustrated with these and wouldn't recommend them.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 10

Blodget!!!! That's what mine is.  I also have to use a oven thermometer because the dial is all wacky.

backerhusband Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 12:09am
post #8 of 10

Thanks to all of you. No Deluxe. Now back to a Vulcan or poss. a Blodgett bakers depth. Does anyone have thought on bakers depth oven for cupcakes?

Phaedramax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phaedramax Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 10

I am going to buy the Deluxe for home use now that I am simi retired .When I had a commericial bakery we had the others but they are too big .The Deluxe is made for cakes the others are not.It took a few months with the others to adjusting the baking temp before we got it right.We found we had to bake not 350 but 265except on cookies than 295. Good luck.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 5:58pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedramax 

I am going to buy the Deluxe for home use now that I am simi retired .When I had a commericial bakery we had the others but they are too big .The Deluxe is made for cakes the others are not.It took a few months with the others to adjusting the baking temp before we got it right.We found we had to bake not 350 but 265except on cookies than 295. Good luck.

i got my deluxe hooked up for home use--i ♥ ♥ it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%