What Is This Dam For Filling Method Called

Decorating By helloIamSM Updated 24 Oct 2013 , 12:32am by maybenot

helloIamSM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helloIamSM Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everybody! I heard of a method for filling cakes where you cut out a circle in the middle of the cake and then put the filling in it and the cake around the edge serves as a dam.  What is this method called and has anyone tried it, does it work? is there any tutorials around to show how to do this? Thanks!!

4 replies
Lucky6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lucky6 Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 5

I've heard of it but haven't tried it I'm curious too

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 5

AI haven't heard or seen it...but I have to say it sounds like a lot of extra work for a problem with a relatively easy solution. Using the buttercream dam is super quick and easy

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 5

ATotally agree with MorganChampagne

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 12:32am
post #5 of 5

No real name for it. 


You can crumb coat the top of the layer, cut out an amount of the cake--say a 9.5" circle out of a 10" round--excavate that to the depth you want your filling to be [and make the filling level with the thin lip of cake], fill it, and place the next layer on it.  Instead of an icing dam, you have a cake dam.


In this pic, the blue ring would be the "cake dam" [that would extend all the way to the outer edge of the cake] instead of icing:


This is a real cake cut this way [personally, I think the cake dam is pretty wide and I'd do it about half that width.  I'd also crumb coat the top of the cake first so that I wouldn't have to do just the thin lip after it's filled]:



Quote by @%username% on %date%