Number Cake Help!

Decorating By nanasmom Updated 18 Oct 2013 , 7:46pm by -K8memphis

nanasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanasmom Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 11:08am
post #1 of 6

AI am making a cake in the shape of a 70 out of a sheet cake and need some help. I've done this before and it turned out great but I used a different recipe this time which didn't rise to two inches. I would say the cake is just about (under) 1 1/2 inches. My concern is with how it will look once it is finished because it is not so high and if I should even tort tort it because the layers will be so thin. I can make another cake for a second layer but its not ideal. What you all think?

5 replies
RubinaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubinaD Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 6

since you used a different recipe, maybe it didn't yield enough cups of batter for the sheet cake, so you think it didn't rise enough. I wouldn't tort  it sounds to thin. You said you could back another cake, maybe double the recipe and fill the sheet pan accordingly, and make cup cakes out of the remaining batter. just a thought...

nanasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanasmom Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubinaD 

since you used a different recipe, maybe it didn't yield enough cups of batter for the sheet cake, so you think it didn't rise enough. I wouldn't tort  it sounds to thin. You said you could back another cake, maybe double the recipe and fill the sheet pan accordingly, and make cup cakes out of the remaining batter. just a thought...

Thanks RibinaD.  The pan was full enough - maybe the cake just rise as much as my other recipe - ugh!  The recipe I was using yields two 9 inch rounds so I actually tripled the recipe!  I am going to have to make another sheet cake.  So frustrating because I don't even need it for the servings - I just want it toook look good!

RubinaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubinaD Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 6

Question: if you don't need the numbers as servings then why are you making them the size of a sheet cake? perhaps I can't visualize what your design will be. good luck

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 6

AWas it really necessary to bake a full sheet just to cut out the numbers? There are a ton of tutorials online that show how you can make numbers without cutting it out in one single piece.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 6

what about using what you have --

cut your existing cake in half and stack the 2-layers to get the height you want and cut the 70 out of that? maybe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%