Cookies Decorating

Baking By abbenz Updated 21 Nov 2013 , 9:41am by emetz74

abbenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbenz Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 10

Hi All, 

i was wondering if anyone has decorated cookies with modeling chocolate? I am making cookies for a friend and i have to ship them to her , but she doesn't like the taste of royal icing or fondant... I know i read somewhere that someone covered  cookies with modeling chocolate but i can't remember where:(. if anyone can give me tips or advice on how to go about this i would love to hear it and also do u think if i shipped them to her will they met ??? i am in need of help all advice welcome thanx ! 

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 10

i use straight chocolate on cookies also pate choux is great on cookies also thin the cookie dough with water or milk to piping consistency and pipe -- then bake then do more details after--also rolled buttercream is an option--

when shipping cookies i wrap two cookies bottom to bottom in plastic wrap and secure them well so they can't break--

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

• i use straight chocolate on baked cookies
  • also pate choux is great on unbaked  cookies
  • also thin the cookie dough with water or milk to piping consistency and pipe onto unbaked cookies -- then bake then do more details with choco after--
  • also rolled buttercream is an option on baked cookies--

when shipping cookies i wrap two cookies bottom to bottom in plastic wrap and secure them well so they can't break--

thought i should clarify that a bit ;)

sarahgale314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahgale314 Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 3:57am
post #4 of 10

AI do modeling chocolate on cookies all the time. It tastes delicious, very milld, so the flavor of the cookie really shines through, and is easy to do. Here are a few I've done:

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3118914/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG ALT="High heel sugar cookies with modeling chocolate and royal icing."]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3031151/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG ALT="Orange flavored soft sugar cookies with orange flavored rolled buttercream, with piped royal icing rosettes."]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3001176/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

I roll out my modeling chocolate with the 3/16 ring on my pin, and then cut out the shapes with the same cutter I am planning on using for the cookies. I set those aside, and then make the cookies. As they come out of the oven, lay the modeling chocolate cut outs on top of the hot cookies. The modeling chocolate will get shiny and melty and adhere to the cookie. While it's melty, you can stick on decorations, such as the premade royal icing flowers you see on the shoes and wedding cookies. Let them cool completely, and then you can add on piped royal icing decorations, like the leaves on the wedding cookies and pumpkins, or impress the cookies, like I did to create the lines on the pumpkin cookies using the rim of a cup. On the wedding cookies, I used a brand new clean stamp, that I ran through the dishwasher, painted with Americolor black food gel to stamp the bride and groom on. The cookies can then be individually wrapped or stacked.

The pumpkin cookies are made with pumpkin pie spice and part brown sugar, so they taste just like pumpkin pie to eat! The wedding cookies have orange zest in them. I like modeling chocolate better than fondant on the cookies... The texture is not chewy, like fondant is, and it's less sweet.

abbenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbenz Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahgale314 

I do modeling chocolate on cookies all the time. It tastes delicious, very milld, so the flavor of the cookie really shines through, and is easy to do. Here are a few I've done:

High heel sugar cookies with modeling chocolate and royal icing.

Orange flavored soft sugar cookies with orange flavored rolled buttercream, with piped royal icing rosettes.

I roll out my modeling chocolate with the 3/16 ring on my pin, and then cut out the shapes with the same cutter I am planning on using for the cookies. I set those aside, and then make the cookies. As they come out of the oven, lay the modeling chocolate cut outs on top of the hot cookies. The modeling chocolate will get shiny and melty and adhere to the cookie. While it's melty, you can stick on decorations, such as the premade royal icing flowers you see on the shoes and wedding cookies. Let them cool completely, and then you can add on piped royal icing decorations, like the leaves on the wedding cookies and pumpkins, or impress the cookies, like I did to create the lines on the pumpkin cookies using the rim of a cup. On the wedding cookies, I used a brand new clean stamp, that I ran through the dishwasher, painted with Americolor black food gel to stamp the bride and groom on. The cookies can then be individually wrapped or stacked.

The pumpkin cookies are made with pumpkin pie spice and part brown sugar, so they taste just like pumpkin pie to eat! The wedding cookies have orange zest in them. I like modeling chocolate better than fondant on the cookies... The texture is not chewy, like fondant is, and it's less sweet.

Hey  sarahgale314 thanks so muck !!!!

dose the modeling  chocolate get as hard as fondant dose??? Also have u ever shipped cookies covered in modeling chocolate ??? if so what would be the best way to do this ?

sarahgale314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahgale314 Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 10

AThe modeling chocolate does get hard. Modeling chocolate doesn't dry in the air like fondant and royal icing - it hardens as it cools back to room temperature. Shipping should be fine. I use the directions from one of my favorite cookie blogs: http://sweetopia.net/2009/12/how-to-ship-decorated-cookies-and-cookie-craft-giveaway/

She uses royal icing, but I love modeling chocolate for its superior flavor and ease of use.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 11:34pm
post #7 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by abbenz 

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has decorated cookies with modeling chocolate?

abbenz: I've just learned to put modeling chocolate cut-out pieces on glace iced cookies. The skulls are white MC, the pumpkin face is dark choc MC. (and they taste so good.) can't help with shipping.

cocoa cookies, Gemini glace icing, white modeling choc skulls dark choc pumpkin faces.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 9:01am
post #8 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

i use straight chocolate on cookies also pate choux is great on cookies also thin the cookie dough with water or milk to piping consistency and pipe -- then bake then do more details after--also rolled buttercream is an option--

I'm very interested in the pate choux on cookies.  Could you explain more how you use the pate choux - on unbaked or with unbaked cookies?

Thank you Sarah for the tip on putting modeling chocolate on the warm cookies - genius!

emetz74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emetz74 Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 9:40am
post #9 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahgale314 

I do modeling chocolate on cookies all the time. It tastes delicious, very milld, so the flavor of the cookie really shines through, and is easy to do. Here are a few I've done:

High heel sugar cookies with modeling chocolate and royal icing.

Orange flavored soft sugar cookies with orange flavored rolled buttercream, with piped royal icing rosettes.

Why is there no pin to Pinterest option here? I LOVE your ideas!

emetz74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emetz74 Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 9:41am
post #10 of 10

Oh, heck! I just saw it. :oops:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%