Am I Wrong?

Business By Gees Updated 21 Oct 2013 , 6:06pm by Gees

Gees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gees Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 33

Hi all, which would you do if today Thursday, calling them a cake for 200 people with design to deliver next Thursday at 10 am, but also then confirm me if you want the cake or cupcakes ...
The first thing I would say is NO!, Am I wrong?

Hola a todos, que harían ustedes si hoy jueves, les piden un pastel para 200 personas con diseño para entregar el próximo jueves a las 10 am, pero además, que luego me confirman si quieren el pastel o cupcakes...
Yo lo primero que diría es NO!, estoy mal?

32 replies
BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 33

AI have no idea - I didn't understand the question. :-(

Gees Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

I have no idea - I didn't understand the question. icon_sad.gif

Would accept to do a job for 200 people if they ask for a week before?
And, if they have not decided whether they want cake or cupcakes?

Gees Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 33

A

The person asked me when he received my answer was offended! he said I have not the capacity to do, but it is not that way ...

Gees Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 33

By the way... sorry for my bad english, i'm learning! :grin:

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 33

From what I read, they want something next week for 200 and they haven't decided on a designed cake or cupcakes and they are giving you attitude because you are not jumping at working with someone this disorganized?

If you wanted to do this, I would consider a late order charge.  You know it is not going to go well.

At this point, they should come hat-in-hand asking if there is any way to help them out of a jam.

Gees Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly 

From what I read, they want something next week for 200 and they haven't decided on a designed cake or cupcakes and they are giving you attitude because you are not jumping at working with someone this disorganized?

If you wanted to do this, I would consider a late order charge.  You know it is not going to go well.

At this point, they should come hat-in-hand asking if there is any way to help them out of a jam.

Exactly, considering the late order, they tell me that I can't! haha
Obviously I will not accept the order, but if you think that it affects my business, I'd like to know your opinion...
Sevacha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sevacha Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 6:57pm
post #8 of 33

It all depends. Are you booked for the next week? What is your ordering and payment policy? Do you have enough time and all the supplies to pull it off? What are your customers' expectations? There are so many factors to consider before making a decision. I think only you can answer the question. Do what is best for you and your customer!

Don't stress out and don't fill bad for your English. We are all learning; be it a new language, new skill or a new design technique.:-)

Gees Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sevacha 

It all depends. Are you booked for the next week? What is your ordering and payment policy? Do you have enough time and all the supplies to pull it off? What are your customers' expectations? There are so many factors to consider before making a decision. I think only you can answer the question. Do what is best for you and your customer!

Don't stress out and don't fill bad for your English. We are all learning; be it a new language, new skill or a new design technique.:-)

Thanks a lot!
What I don't want is precisely stressing me, mostly because it had the budget time stating my times, and are not respecting, therefore I do not think good business move forward.
You're very kind!
BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 7:10pm
post #10 of 33

A

Original message sent by Gees

By the way... sorry for my bad english, i'm learning! :D

No worries. I just didn't understand the question and thought you could expand on it or rephrase for clarity.

As for what I think about it - I wouldn't do it unless I had the time and he was willing to pay a "rush charge" of 10%. If you turn him down, don't worry about it affecting your business. Who's he going to complain to and what can he possibly say? He might just remember to call earlier next time if he wants you to do an order for him.

Gees Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 7:22pm
post #11 of 33

Quote:

No worries. I just didn't understand the question and thought you could expand on it or rephrase for clarity.

As for what I think about it - I wouldn't do it unless I had the time and he was willing to pay a "rush charge" of 10%. If you turn him down, don't worry about it affecting your business. Who's he going to complain to and what can he possibly say? He might just remember to call earlier next time if he wants you to do an order for him.

when I mentioned the extra for the rush, was close to a heart attack! lol
So goodbye to him
:P

Sevacha Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 7:47pm
post #12 of 33

Quote:

If you turn him down, don't worry about it affecting your business. Who's he going to complain to and what can he possibly say? He might just remember to call earlier next time if he wants you to do an order for him.

I agree. You're in charge of your business. You have the right to take or to decline the order. If you are nice to the customer (I'm not saying you aren't) and explain your decision and policies, he would most likely understand. And if he doesn't? Well, at least you know you've handled the situation professionally.

Gees Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 7:57pm
post #13 of 33

I explain all politely, in the end he understood, but seldom say no to an order, this time had to be so for mental health.

Thanks for your support, is good to come to talk about it here...

Sevacha Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 8:07pm
post #14 of 33

You're welcome. We are all learning from each other!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 11:50pm
post #15 of 33

Only you know your limits.  If the customer was not being reasonable and you didn't feel confident that you could complete the order then you did the right thing by turning it down!

I'm not busy for next weekend so I would have taken the order but they would have had only 24 hours to finalize the details and bring me full payment in cash.  If they weren't willing to do that I would have turned it down.  If I already had other cakes scheduled I probably would have turned it down.  Well, I really need the money right now so I probably would have taken the order and bought some extra Red Bull lol

Gees Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 12:11am
post #16 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakesbycathy 

Only you know your limits.  If the customer was not being reasonable and you didn't feel confident that you could complete the order then you did the right thing by turning it down!

I'm not busy for next weekend so I would have taken the order but they would have had only 24 hours to finalize the details and bring me full payment in cash.  If they weren't willing to do that I would have turned it down.  If I already had other cakes scheduled I probably would have turned it down.  Well, I really need the money right now so I probably would have taken the order and bought some extra Red Bull lol

hahahaha

then i don´t need money! haha

i have a regular job, cakes is an extra

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 9:43am
post #17 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gees 

A.)  Exactly, considering the late order, they tell me that I can't! haha Obviously I will not accept the order, but if you think that it affects my business, I'd like to know your opinion...

B.)  hahahaha  then i don´t need money! haha

i have a regular job, cakes is an extra

OPs obtrusive contradiction.     So much for this thread.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 11:02am
post #18 of 33

I think there is a language barrier here. I think she is saying she doesn't need the extra money bad enough to take on a PITA client. She has been very agreeable throughout this thread

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 2:10pm
post #19 of 33

hi! I would take the order if I could, if I had time.

I don't know why customers gave you attitude but, maybe your answer wasn't polite enough?

Gees Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 3:41pm
post #20 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

OPs obtrusive contradiction.     So much for this thread.

Sarcasm!

Gees Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 3:56pm
post #21 of 33
If i could explain in Spanish, you could better understand
They do not even hire the cake yet, if someone wants to come to Mexicali welcome!
:-D
anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 4:05pm
post #22 of 33

AYo lo quiero entender, es q tienes un trabajo y no es tan necesario agarrar la orden si sabes q va a ser un probleba tenerla a tiempo, entendi bien?

Gees Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 4:13pm
post #23 of 33

Ayy por fin! jajaja

Lo que pasa es que yo tengo mi trabajo normal, de 8 a 5 de lun a viernes...

Entonces supe de este evento y mandé cotización aclarando los tiempos de contratación y forma de pago, etc...

No me habían llamado, no sabía la fecha exacta, cuando ayer me llaman para decirme que fui la elegida para hacer el pastel, pregunto fecha, cantidad, tipo de pastel, etc.

Me dicen es el jueves 24 a las 10 am, no sabemos aún si será pastel o cupcakes, te avisaremos luego, pregunto por anticipo, y me dicen, no es seguro que salga esta semana osea hoy..

Entonces con la pena les expliqué que para mi no funciona asi, que sería mejor ir a una pastelería mas grande donde si puedan hacer ese tipo de pedidos para 200 personas de un dia para otro, porque para mi sería hacer diseño, compras, hornear y decorar (no tengo quien me ayude en esto)

Si me hubieran apartado la fecha con tiempo, me hubiera organizado mejor..

Entonces la persona me dijo, si no tienes la capacidad buscamos a otro, que fue lo que yo les sugerí de inicio al ver la situación..

Pero, de todas formas, se queda una con la duda de si habré hecho bien o mal, me quería desahogar por aqui, pero para variar, no me doy a entender perfectamente en inglés jajaja...

Gracias por leer!

Si tu inglés es mejor explicales please! jajaja

Gees Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 4:14pm
post #24 of 33

A

Por proyección de mi negocio hubiera estado muy bien tomar la orden, pero el precio sería no dormir por 3 días, tengo 2 hijos, un marido y 8 horas de trabajo diario, por eso fue que decidí que mejor no... Con dolor de mi corazón...

anavillatoro1 Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 4:21pm
post #25 of 33

AYo no tengo un negocio de pasteles pero si tengo un trabajo de lunes a viernes como tu y entiendo q iva a ser muy dificil para ti hacer tanto trabajo sin tiempo para planearlo y menos sin anticipo o seguridd de q qs lo q quieren, muy bien hecho en rechazarlos y si en ingles es muy difícil explicar lo que uno piensa, saludos

Gees Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 4:26pm
post #26 of 33

Mi negocio es algo pequeño tambien, lo veo como un hobbie y algo extra, he tenido pedidos regulares gracias a Dios, pero por lo mismo para no quedar mal es que necesito tiempo..

Saludos Ana, eres de México?

anavillatoro1 Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 4:32pm
post #27 of 33

AShe is worried about the order she have to torn down, because of the costumer wasn't sure on cupcakes or cake, no deposit and her full time job. Who'd afect her business. And make sure she did right

anavillatoro1 Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 4:33pm
post #28 of 33

ANo soy de Guatemala

Gees Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 4:46pm
post #29 of 33

Pues mucho gusto, yo estoy en la frontera norte, en Mexicali, pegado a California :-)

Gracias por explicarles jaja, espero mejorar mi inglés...

MamaMaggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMaggie Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 8:20pm
post #30 of 33

No! You are not wrong! Start out as you mean to continue. I have learned a lot from this site and unless you are desperate don't ever let someone come in and treat you with disrespect! If you don't respect your own work - then who will?! I charge extra for last minute work and they need to give very clear instructions on what they want because when you have to work fast you don't have time to keep calling to clarify things. This will not cause you to loose future clients - don't worry! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%