Help Me Word My Voicemail

Business By erin2345 Updated 16 Oct 2013 , 8:23pm by BrandisBaked

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 7

Hello!  Let me start by saying I hate, hate, HATE checking my voicemail.  Hate it.  Obviously I know that some people still like to call to place a cake order, but the majority of orders are email inquiries, which I vastly prefer.  Sometimes I will check my msgs on the road, and then completely forget to call the person back.  Other times I check it and it is someone wanting a last minute cake, that I wouldn't be able to do anyways.

How can I word my voicemail to emphasize that I would prefer you to send me an email with party date, theme, number of ppl etc. without sounding rude?  Leaving a voicemail is still an option, but I want to steer people in the direction of sending me an email.  Is this possible?  Thx!

6 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 7

AWe did exactly this with our voicemail, the message was something like "Thank you for calling XYZ. If you'd like to contact us or place an order, please go to our web site at XYZ.com and click the "place an order" link. Be sure to include (list of required info). Please note that all orders require X weeks of advance notice and (discuss your deposit/payment policy here)."

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

We did exactly this with our voicemail, the message was something like "Thank you for calling XYZ. If you'd like to contact us or place an order, please go to our web site at XYZ.com and click the "place an order" link. Be sure to include (list of required info). Please note that all orders require X weeks of advance notice and (discuss your deposit/payment policy here)."

If it were me ordering, I wouldn't want to click "Place an order" before I had a cost quote. It sounds as if I'm committing to something before I have all the facts. You know how, on Ebay, it says once you click "submit order", you've entered into a binding contract with the seller.  Just my thoughts.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 7

A

Original message sent by dawnybird

If it were me ordering, I wouldn't want to click "Place an order" before I had a cost quote. It sounds as if I'm committing to something before I have all the facts. You know how, on Ebay, it says once you click "submit order", you've entered into a binding contract with the seller.  Just my thoughts.

That's a good point, you could have a separate link for "Contact Us" on your web site and mention it in the voice mail for people who have questions or want a quote. If you only do custom orders you could use something like "Get a quote" instead.

Or just direct people to your web site without mentioning clicking on a specific link.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 7

I only have a landline for my business - not a cell phone.  Got fed up of people phoning at stupid o'clcok!!! :x

My answerphone message says:

Hello.  This is Pat-a-Cake Parties.  I'm sorry I can't take your call right now.  If you'd like to get in touch via email, it's  [email protected].  Alternatively, you can leave a message after the tone.  Please note that our business hours are Monday to Saturday, 9.30am - 6.30pm. Thank you.

It's directing them to an email address, but does give them the option of leaving a message.  But as it's a land line and not a cell, I suppose it's not as vital.

Suzanne x

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the help!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 7

AI had a very long voicemail message about hours and ordering information - so I made sure that at the beginning I said "Thanks for calling XXX, Please press # to bypass this greeting and leave a message" - because a lot of people didn't know they could do that and I would get people telling me they hated to listen to the message every time they called.

I made sure to state that I sometimes only listened to voicemails first thing in the morning and that if they needed to get ahold of me after that, they should email. Make sure you spell out your email address too - you'd be surprised how many people can't spell even the simplest of words.

If you prefer email though, I believe there are programs that will transcribe your voicemail messages and email them to you as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%