Get Really Smooth, Fondant-Like Buttercream?

Decorating By MustangMollie Updated 26 Oct 2013 , 3:36am by denetteb

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 3:44am
post #31 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyMommy 

And is it imperative that one do this on something that turns? Or can you just turn the cake stand for the same effect?

Yes. Otherwise you would be getting the vertical lines MustangMollie talked about. You even have to turn that wheel in one single long movement, no stopping. Read steps 7 and 8 here.

http://cakecentral.com/a/upside-down-icing-technique-for-perfectly-smooth-icing

MommyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyMommy Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 4:20am
post #32 of 39

AWow that link is great. I get it now. So trying this.

imagenthatnj Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 4:33am
post #33 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyMommy 

Wow that link is great. I get it now. So trying this.

You should go back to the first page of this thread and check out the other links, too. Jeff Arnett devised this method, but a lot of other people created variations of it.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 3:17pm
post #34 of 39

Mommy,

Crusting is usually sweeter because it requires a greater ratio of sugar to fat in order for the crusting to occur.  You can use either kind under fondant, just refrigerate the cake first to get the icing hard, then cover.  Crisco is not hi ratio.  Alpine and Sweetex are popular brands of hi ratio.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 2:39am
post #35 of 39
Quote:

Imaginethatnh:   'Acrylic Ganache Boards' are what is used in that spectacular tutorial. The are sold on websites in the AU & GB but not the US. 

I know. I couldn't find them here in the US .....................

imaginethatnh:  It's taken me a while, internet shopping and emails.  I found a website in the USA that sells,  and will laser cut acrylic.  I'll be making an order this next payday so I can try these methods listed in this post by people like Jeff Arnet.

they have rounds & squares in lots of sizes that may work perfectly.  crossing my fingers here.

Delvie’s Plastics Inc.

1/4" Crystal Clear Cell Cast Plexiglass Sheet
Cut to size

imagenthatnj Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 2:50am
post #36 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

imaginethatnh:  It's taken me a while, internet shopping and emails.  I found a website in the USA that sells,  and will laser cut acrylic.  I'll be making an order this next payday so I can try these methods listed in this post by people like Jeff Arnet.

they have rounds & squares in lots of sizes that may work perfectly.  crossing my fingers here.

Delvie’s Plastics Inc.

1/4" Crystal Clear Cell Cast Plexiglass Sheet
Cut to size

Thank you, MBalaska. I think that's the same link Shanter posted on the other thread? Let me know how the ordering goes. I got so busy at work that I haven't had time to think about it. Good thing you're reminding me! I'll make a note of it. I had found a place that cut them to size, and I had a template drawn to see what I could get from a sheet but it was so expensive! These are cheap.

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 3:22am
post #37 of 39

A[LIST] There is a great seller on EBay that you can order the clear acrylic rounds from. I can't recall the sellers name now but Mayen from Way Beyond Cakes by Mayen orders from him and recommended him. I've ordered some circles and been very pleased. I'll look for the name. [/LIST]

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 3:31am
post #38 of 39

A[S]Seller is inagebyroberts2 on eBay.

[/S]

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 3:36am
post #39 of 39

Have you all checked around locally to see if there is a company in your area that sells acrylic products?  If so, check with them on their prices for making what you want.  Our town of 85,000 has a company that makes anything custom in acrylic products, so you might have one around and don't know it.  They make things like table top holders for menus, napkin holders, all kinds of things, custom or they have a line of  products.  Cutting out custom rounds, squares or rectangles would be pretty simple for them.  Here is their website...I am not trying to get you to buy from them but to give you an idea of what you might look for in your area.  http://www. northernacrylics .com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%