Need A Stable Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe

Baking By Roxybc Updated 21 Aug 2014 , 3:40am by beeba harris

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 13

AI'd like to make a 3 tier red velvet cake covered in cream cheese frosting. I have a "fairly" stable CC Frosting recipe, but would like to find one even more stable if possible because I'd like to bring the cake into work which means travelling on the train and bus in London rush hour traffic!

I want to make sure the frosting is stable enough to ensure the layers stay put and don't slip around during transport. I'm pretty sure the cream cheese frosting recipe I use is originally from Cake Central. I don't have it with me, but I think it uses a 50/50 butter & shortening mix, combined with cream cheese, a bit of vanilla, a dash of salt and icing sugar.

Can anyone recommend any other recipes?? Or at least suggestions on the best way to ensure the cake arrives safely?

12 replies
Daisyblue002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisyblue002 Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 12:37am
post #2 of 13

Hi Roxybc, there's a cream cheese recipe on the Texas Cottage Food Law website that's been tested by the food safety services and is deemed as a non-potentially hazardous food. I haven't tried this one yet but at least it gives you an option:  http://www.texascottagefoodlaw.com/Resources/Recipes/TraditionalCreamCheeseFrosting.aspx

sarahgale314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahgale314 Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 1:50am
post #3 of 13

AYou can also make cream cheese Swiss meringue buttercream with half butter and half cream cheese. That holds it's shape a lot better than traditional cream cheese frosting, which, like you said, is soft and tends to slip! This recipe was OK'd for me to use under Utah cottage food law.

8 egg whites 2 cups sugar 1 tablespoon vanilla (I like to use a vanilla bean here instead) Pinch salt 1 pound unsalted butter, room temperature 1 pound cream cheese, room temperature 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed juice from one lemon

Place egg whites, sugar, vanilla, and salt in your stand mixer bowl and place it over a saucepan of lightly simmering water. Whisk constantly until the mixture reaches 160 F degrees. Place the bowl in your mixer with the wire whip attachment and whip on highest speed until cooled to room temperature, 8-10 minutes. Switch to the paddle attachment and add the butter and cream cheese a tablespoon at a time on medium speed. Increase to medium high speed and beat until it smooths out. Add lemon juice and beat until combined.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 2:31am
post #4 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahgale314 

You can also make cream cheese Swiss meringue buttercream with half butter and half cream cheese. That holds it's shape a lot better than traditional cream cheese frosting, which, like you said, is soft and tends to slip! This recipe was OK'd for me to use under Utah cottage food law.

8 egg whites
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla (I like to use a vanilla bean here instead)
Pinch salt
1 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
1 pound cream cheese, room temperature
1 teaspoon fresh squeezed juice from one lemon

Place egg whites, sugar, vanilla, and salt in your stand mixer bowl and place it over a saucepan of lightly simmering water. Whisk constantly until the mixture reaches 160 F degrees. Place the bowl in your mixer with the wire whip attachment and whip on highest speed until cooled to room temperature, 8-10 minutes. Switch to the paddle attachment and add the butter and cream cheese a tablespoon at a time on medium speed. Increase to medium high speed and beat until it smooths out. Add lemon juice and beat until combined.

sarahgale314:   SMBC Cream Cheese frosting

------ I would have never thought of that.  And it holds up to piping better, brilliant!  thanks.

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 5:07am
post #5 of 13

A

Original message sent by sarahgale314

You can also make cream cheese Swiss meringue buttercream with half butter and half cream cheese. That holds it's shape a lot better than traditional cream cheese frosting, which, like you said, is soft and tends to slip! This recipe was OK'd for me to use under Utah cottage food law.

Sarah, was this recipe tested, or did they just approve it by looking at it?

sarahgale314 Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 13

AI'm not sure... They didn't say. However, they made me change my chocolate ganache recipe by adding a tablespoon each of butter and sugar (my recipe was nothing but cream and chocolate) because the cream and chocolate alone had never been tested, but the other recipe had. So, I assume it had been tested before... However, maybe they overlooked it? I don't know. I gave them a base Swiss meringue buttercream recipe, and then had variations at the bottom, such as adding melted chocolate, raspberries, strawberries, caramel, peanut butter, and cream cheese.

vonscakes87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonscakes87 Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 3:02am
post #7 of 13

A[quote name="sarahgale314" url="/t/764850/need-a-stable-cream-cheese-frosting-recipe#post_7454893"]You can also make cream cheese Swiss meringue buttercream with half butter and half cream cheese. That holds it's shape a lot better than traditional cream cheese frosting, which, like you said, is soft and tends to slip! This recipe was OK'd for me to use under Utah cottage food law.

Will this recipe hold up under a fondant covered cake?

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 6:56am
post #8 of 13

There's a recipe somewhere on this site (I can't search for it right now, on my phone) that should work well for you!  Try searching for "crusting cream cheese".  If I recall correctly it uses 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup shortening, 1 pound cream cheese and 3.5 lbs of powdered sugar.  I usually swap the shortening and butter amounts to make it more temperature stable.  Works great, tastes great :)

sarahgale314 Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 13

AWhen I cover a cake with cream cheese frosting in fondant, I put cream cheese frosting between the cake layers, and frost the outside in white chocolate ganache to make a nice hard shell for the fondant. 12 ounces white chocolate and 4 ounces heavy cream will frost the outside of an 8 inch by 4 inch tall tier. Swiss meringue buttercream with cream cheese stays a bit too soft at cold temperatures, so it's not ideal for fondant. I have used it in a thin coating under fondant before,though, and it was ok. I just did a red velvet cake yesterday, 8-inch, baked in 3 layers, split into 6, and filled with cream cheese SMB (I made many layers for maximum cream cheese frosting to cake ratio, since that's really why people eat red velvet - for the frosting!) Then I did the upside down frosting method to frost the outside in white chocolate ganache, let it set up, and then covered it in fondant. Nice and smooth, super sharp top edge, as requested by the customer.

vonscakes87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonscakes87 Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 13

A

Original message sent by sarahgale314

When I cover a cake with cream cheese frosting in fondant, I put cream cheese frosting between the cake layers, and frost the outside in white chocolate ganache to make a nice hard shell for the fondant. 12 ounces white chocolate and 4 ounces heavy cream will frost the outside of an 8 inch by 4 inch tall tier. Swiss meringue buttercream with cream cheese stays a bit too soft at cold temperatures, so it's not ideal for fondant. I have used it in a thin coating under fondant before,though, and it was ok. I just did a red velvet cake yesterday, 8-inch, baked in 3 layers, split into 6, and filled with cream cheese SMB (I made many layers for maximum cream cheese frosting to cake ratio, since that's really why people eat red velvet - for the frosting!) Then I did the upside down frosting method to frost the outside in white chocolate ganache, let it set up, and then covered it in fondant. Nice and smooth, super sharp top edge, as requested by the customer.

[B]YOURE THE BEST!!!JUST GOT AN ORDER FOR 3TIERED MONSTER THEMED CAKE.I GOTTA START BAKING FAST!!!SHE WANTS IS SATURDAY!!!????8O[/B]

islandgirl808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
islandgirl808 Posted 18 May 2014 , 4:05am
post #11 of 13

I'm new to baking... I don't understand... why is there a law in ingredients?

I just made a frosting today and left it out in the office break room with a temp of 70... it was cold my frosting did crust just a little.  Does the law mean I can NOT have cream cheese left out the frig?

sarahgale314 Posted 21 May 2014 , 6:58pm
post #12 of 13

ACottage food laws don't allow us to make anything that isn't shelf stable, that would mold or go rancid at room temperature. Cream cheese will go rancid if left at room temperature for more than a few hours, so it is an iffy ingredient to be using. Lots of sugar will act as a preservative, as it changes the pH of the food it is added to, inhibiting spoilage. Cream cheese has a more volatile pH compared to butter to begin with, so it takes more sugar to keep it good. Some states do have an approved cream cheese frosting recipe that has been pH tested to ensure room temperature stability. You will have to check your own state to see what they allow.

The other problem with cream cheese frosting is its soft texture, especially when it does warm to room temperature as it sits in a cake. That can cause sliding and other problems, and makes it not ideal to use under fondant. When I do cream cheese in a fondant covered cake, I use it as a filling only, and cover the outside of the cake in white chocolate ganache, which will set very firmly for a nice stable outside underneath the fondant. My state has an approved recipe, using 4 cups powdered sugar and 2 sticks of butter for every 8 oz of cream cheese.

beeba harris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beeba harris Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 3:40am
post #13 of 13

ASo this CC frosting that's suppose to be shelf stable is directing me to cake boss recipe. Is this the right one?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%