So New, Need Lots Of Help

Decorating By Newbie13 Updated 22 Oct 2013 , 2:14am by Sassyzan

Newbie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbie13 Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 6

AI'm trying to recreate this beauty for a shower this weekend. My plan, Swiss meringue buttercream with fondant dress. Would that work? Do I need to glue the fondant down or is it secure enough to just lay it down since it is a large piece? Can I make the entire thing 3 days in advance using fromscratchSF SMBC recipe? Should I make Michelle foster's fondant recipe or is a mmf recipe better for newbies? ( never made or worked with fondant before). Thank you in advance!!:grin:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/262545853249574443/

5 replies
Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 6

AWelcome to CC.

My suggestion is, if you've never made or worked with fondant before it would be better to do a trial run with it and see how it all comes together and good luck. Don't forget to post you after picture. :)

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 6

I love using Liz Marek's fondant recipe.  It's a no fail fondant, I find.  I've worked with fondant before and this one has the most play time before drying and cracking.  You can make the entire thing 3 days in advance. I usually don't do that unless it's a wedding cake with a lot of decorations.  If the fondant sits too long on the SMBC it may start to dissolve or break down even being refrigerated, but I could be wrong.  For a cake like this I would make and decorate the day before.  I also use SMBC and  just set the fondant on top of the cake.  If it's on the SMBC it would stay just fine.  Good luck! Post pics of your finished cake! 

Newbie13 Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 6

AThanks, ladies. I'm now making Liz marek's recipe just to get a feel of fondant. The shower is 4 hours away and they day before is quite busy so I was hoping to have cake done and ready to just set out. Now I might make and frost cake before and decorate when I get there.

Newbie13 Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 6

A[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3124854/width/350/height/700[/IMG] Final product! Thanks for help, she loved it.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 2:14am
post #6 of 6

ANicely done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%