Denatured Alcohol

Decorating By rr2sweet Updated 13 Oct 2013 , 5:29am by hbquikcomjamesl

rr2sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rr2sweet Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 3

I just bought gold glaze food-grade edible color glaze. When I looked at the ingredients one of the first ingredients I saw was denatured alcohol. Is this safe to put on cake pops I'm making for a kids party? When I looked it up online it said it's poisonous!!

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 3

maybe it evaporates off? but even in evaporation it depends on how porous your item is too--


i mean if it says food grade and you trust the manufacturer--go with it


call them up and ask maybe

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 5:29am
post #3 of 3

AI do note that there are several grades of denatured alcohol. "CD" grades are what used to be called "methylated spirit": spiked with methanol, they can get into you through unbroken skin, or through inhaling the vapor, and will attack the central nervous system. "SD" grades are denatured with much less toxic (but much more foul-tasting) additives, e.g., isopropanol, and are what you find in cosmetics and skin antiseptics (when you don't simply find straight isopropanol).

I wouldn't regard anything containing either one as being "good eats."

Quote by @%username% on %date%