Color Gone Wrong!

Decorating By 80smuzik Updated 11 Oct 2013 , 1:12am by 80smuzik

80smuzik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
80smuzik Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 9

Aso I was making SMBC ( only my 2nd time) and I needed it to be orange. a really dark orange cause the cake was supposed to be fall colored so I added wilton colors golden yellow and a whole lot of Orange and the icing turned out PINK! no matter how much orange I added it was still pink.

I have a cupcake order for Halloween and I don't want the same thing to happen again. how can I get a true orange? did I ruin it by adding the yellow?

8 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 9

ASMBC in my opinion is not an icing that can be colored dark. I've never seen it done. But if you're going to try you should use candy colors not they regular gel kind

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 9

you can get a true orange by buying the color you want, that being said, if you're going to be mixing colors and you're not familiar with color theory, your best bet is to use primary colors only. When you use a "golden yellow" you have no way of knowing what color wilton used to make it that color. 

so if you want orange, start with white BC, add yellow and a smidge of red, and go from there. I also recommend using a whisk to evenly distribute your color. otherwise, i find it just doesn't break into the fat and deepen as a color should

The Whimsical Bakehouse Cookbook has a nice little color chart inside. It's not online, but available used for a couple of dollars online. 

jen

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 9

how long have you waited--it might change overnight--

take a small portion of the icing and add some brown coloring or cocoa and see if it turns it around to orange--don't know--just try--outside chance

Gees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gees Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

how long have you waited--it might change overnight--

take a small portion of the icing and add some brown coloring or cocoa and see if it turns it around to orange--don't know--just try--outside chance

that's what I would do, add a little brown

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 9

I bought some orange color from Wilton that is the perfect orange for Halloween!!!

Baking Sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Sis Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 9

Golden Yellow mixed with Orange will get you a peachy pink color due the 'color elements' in the Golden Yellow.  So sorry that happened to you!   Stick with the Orange and deepen it by adding a bit of Red or Brown as others have suggested.  Good luck!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 9

AYou need to star with the orange and decide where you want to go from there. It may be easier for you to start with a pure white icing that you can get by adding a smidge of violet to offwhite icing.

80smuzik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
80smuzik Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 1:07am
post #9 of 9

Acandy colors....I never thought about using them I'll try, although I have never used them before.

maybe I should just do a regular buttercream and use the Orange.

I only used the golden yellow cause I know when I put it in before in another buttercream it made it kinda orange so I figured that would make it darker.

thanks for everyone who posted! :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%