Anyone Successfully Used Thawed Egg Yolks?

Decorating By Pastrybaglady Updated 10 Oct 2013 , 9:11pm by liz at sugar

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 7:06am
post #1 of 10

I have fallen in love with SMBC!  I love to watch how it all magically comes together in the mixer.  I made a double batch for cupcakes and just threw all the yolks into a container and into the freezer for me to deal with them later.  Today was later.  I looked up some different recipes and was excited to try them, but the yolks looked very different when they thawed.  They look and have the texture of being partially cooked.  I didn't expect them to be like fresh, but this was really different. Is this what they typically look like or is there a special way to freeze them?  Has anyone used thawed egg yolks successfully for a french buttercream or lemon curd? 

9 replies
scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 8:51am
post #2 of 10

I do it all the time, however I add a couple teaspoons of sugar per cup of yolk. Salt if you plan to use them for something savoury, I don't measure, I just toss some in and mix it up.

If you freeze them as is, they get a weird jelly like consistency, and aren't really useable.

I also use a lot of fruit curds, so quite often I will make big batches of my most popular flavours, and freeze those instead.

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 10:01am
post #3 of 10

AI have been wanting to know this too! Do you have to mix the sugar in well with the yolks?

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 11:52am
post #4 of 10

I whisk it in pretty good, and have never had an issue.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 10

I used to raise chickens and had to deal with a large influx of eggs in the spring. I'd do the same thing with the sugar for sweet use, and salt for the savory. I used whole eggs, mixed well with either the salt or sugar and froze them in ice cube trays, 1 compartment = 1 whole egg. Nowadays when dealing with extra yolks I also make fruit curds and freeze them for future use.

Jan

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 10

i cook the frozen un-seasoned yolks, chop and put them in with my dog's food.

i'll try the sugar and salt thing though--so many yolks have bit the dust.

making pastry cream is an idea too for yolk-a-plenty-itis

Margaret393 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margaret393 Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 10

I add a tablespoon of water - per egg yolk and whisk it in, then freeze yolks in an ice cube tray - very handy and quick to thaw when  required. Uses to name but a few - quiches, sugar pastry , egg custard based desserts, lemon curd etc.

Pastrybaglady Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 10

AThank you so much for the benefit of your experiences! You are right about that weird jelly like consistency. I will have to try the sugar mix next time. I guess I'll just have to dump the ones I have right now :(

Pastrybaglady Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 10

I guess I wasn't ready to completely give up on the yolks so I thought if I boiled them I could mix some mayonnaise in and make a base for potato salad.  Utter fail!  The yolks were so rubbery they won't break down.  Even my cat won't eat them.  Too bad I don't have a dog...

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 9:11pm
post #10 of 10

I have put them in a food saver bag (no sugar or salt), let them freeze, and then seal the bag.  They seem fine to me, but I will try the sugar method as well.

Liz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%