Flat Cookie Surface To Decorate On.

Baking By cakeymom Updated 9 Oct 2013 , 8:01pm by GeminiRJ

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 9

I am wondering if anyone is doing this????  I thought about turning the cookie over to the underside to decorate on. Why not???  It's flat and I don't have to worry about the edges of my fondant circles or wafer paper adhering.

Cakeymom

8 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 9

makes perfect sense!

ECC12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ECC12 Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 9

I sometimes do that when I'm decorating cookies and the top side has lumps, all depends on if I can get to the lumps once the cookies come out of the oven.

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 9

When my cookies come out of the oven, I take a flat, smooth item (ie a fondant smoother) and gently push down on each cookie while it's still warm. Makes it nice and flat for decorating!

cakeymom Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 9

I have gone to a shortbread cookie and have used the spatula method as well.  But there is still an ever so slight curve to the very edge that I still have to content with.

So instead of giving myself a headache over this issue I thought about using a little common sense and flipping the cookie over and using the bottom for the top.  No one will be able to tell since the top is virtually flat anyway.

Thanks for the responses!!!

Cakeymom

cakeymom Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 9

I have gone to a shortbread cookie and have used the spatula method as well.  But there is still an ever so slight curve to the very edge that I still have to content with.

So instead of giving myself a headache over this issue I thought about using a little common sense and flipping the cookie over and using the bottom for the top.  No one will be able to tell since the top is virtually flat anyway.

Thanks for the responses!!!

Cakeymom

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 9

Many decorators decorate the bottom side of the cookie. As far as I know, there's no rule that says you can't! Go with what works best for you.

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 9

My boss & I argue about this all the time:lol:... she wants me to use bottom side because it is so flat.  I like top side.  Only thing I don't like about bottom side being decorated is her cookies often have crevices in the bottom because of way she rolls and rerolls dough.  But when you are making hundreds of cookies as much as it drives me insane speed has to win over perfection.  My only other beef is that the top is not flat when I flip over so storage of stacked cookies is not perfect.

If you can make your bottoms flat and smooth it would work great.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 9

I have found that the top of the cookie has a more uniform color than the bottom, with the bottom browning uneven. Since I use glace, it is far more important to me to have a uniform color base on which to decorate than a perfectly flat surface. Any "bubble" problems can be flattened out while the cookie is still warm. I hadn't considered the stacking aspect when decorating the bottoms. That is a good point to consider.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%