Any Ideas On How To Make This Construction Checkerboard?

Decorating By Lindasicings Updated 30 Oct 2013 , 5:57am by Sweety Grane

Lindasicings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindasicings Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 14

I am planning to make this black and yellow construction cake.

I have been reading and figured I would make a checkerboard cake with manilla folder rings and then try to tilt them when removing them.  Has anyone else done this effect? Any ideas on flavors?  I thought chocolate and yellow cake.

13 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 14

AHere's a tutorial, you'd need to make an extra circle if you want the look above.

http://www.cookiemadness.net/2011/02/checkerboard-cake/

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 14

I have never done that effect in a cake before. There are some bakers who underbake cakes to made designs like hearts and flowers inside their cakes. I would think that part would be dry by the time the rest of the cake was done. 

I think you're on the right track for your idea of how to do it! Let us know how it turns out! I would love to know! 

IowaBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IowaBaker Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 3:20am
post #4 of 14

I think the one pictured was done by baking a yellow cake and a dark chocolate cake, cutting the baked cake, and reassembling it. Look at the point of the wedge of cake and how it looks like there are a couple slanted pieces missing. With the method 

. Note at the end of the video that when the cake was cut, the center ring did not come out with the rest of the slice, it stayed in the middle of the cake. Since the batter rings don't bake into each other, I think the rings should have had frosting between them in addition to between the layers.

The cake pictured is a great idea. If I were making it for a relative who was flexible in design, I would probably try making it from baked pound cakes and assemble the layers in a loaf pan with frosting between layers. I think it would be easier for me than wrangling wet batter.

Disclaimer: I am a total newbie who has never made a checkerboard cake.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 3:27am
post #5 of 14

Here's a similar cake, and right below her photo is a link to a great tutorial for the slanted lines: http://fredellicious.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-baby-turns-2.html

Her's another awesome tutorial for the regular checkerboard pattern: http://www.mycakeschool.com/blog/lets-play-checkers/

Lindasicings Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks for the slanted checkerboard tutorial.  I think I will try baking it now and cutting the slanted lines.  Thanks to all who posted and I will post a picture when it's done. It is for my grandson's 2nd birthday and will have a backhoe digging into the cake.

mfeagan Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 1:23am
post #7 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindasicings 

Thanks for the slanted checkerboard tutorial.  I think I will try baking it now and cutting the slanted lines.  Thanks to all who posted and I will post a picture when it's done. It is for my grandson's 2nd birthday and will have a backhoe digging into the cake.

Can't wait to see it!!! I think the slanted lines would be great with any color scheme!!! I think I may try it with my daughter's first birthday cake!

Lindasicings Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 14

I used the suggestion of baking a chocolate cake and a yellow cake (tinted yellow) and cut the circles on a slant.  I made sure to lightly frost each ring so it would stay together when cut.  It turned out great, thanks for the tutorial.

mfeagan Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 12:18am
post #9 of 14

Turned out great! I'm sure your grandson LOVED it! 

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 1:12am
post #10 of 14

BRAVO!!!

Sweety Grane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweety Grane Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 5:33am
post #11 of 14

Quote:

I used the suggestion of baking a chocolate cake and a yellow cake (tinted yellow) and cut the circles on a slant.  I made sure to lightly frost each ring so it would stay together when cut.  It turned out great, thanks for the tutorial.

wow!! great job! ^_^ Im sure your grandson LOVED it! 

IowaBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IowaBaker Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:01pm
post #12 of 14

Looks terrific! I'll bet he loved it!

Lindasicings Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 12:31am
post #13 of 14

He really did love the cake, thanks everyone :)

Sweety Grane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweety Grane Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 5:57am
post #14 of 14

Quote:

He really did love the cake, thanks everyone :)

You're welcome. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%