Website Cake Prices

Business By cupncakes35 Updated 7 Oct 2013 , 5:33pm by cupncakes35

cupncakes35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupncakes35 Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 12

ANot sure if this question has been asked before. Here goes, in starting a cake business website do you think its best to list how much the serving costs are like $2.50 or $3.50 per serving. Or not list and and just say a quote can be given to you. Do anyone of you have a minium ordering amount?

Thanks

11 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 12

AIt's helpful to post starting prices (and minimum order sizes) as well as typical price ranges for cakes with different types of designs.

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 12

I do post my base prices for buttercream and fondant custom cakes.  I figure it helps weed out those who cannot afford me..

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 12

A$150 minimum, basic small two tier, 4 and 6". Then it's pretty much $5 a serving after 40 servings.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 1:31am
post #5 of 12

I list my starting per slice prices $3.00 celebration cakes and $4.00 wedding cakes...........so far everyone thinks that doesn't apply to them.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 1:41am
post #6 of 12

A

Original message sent by Stitches

I list my starting per slice prices $3.00 celebration cakes and $4.00 wedding cakes...........so far everyone thinks that doesn't apply to them.

Oh ain't that the truth! People apparently ignore stuff like that.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 2:01am
post #7 of 12

AOn every cake photo I posted on my website, I would list the price something like this:

$4.50 per serving As shown: 150 servings

That way the customer could calculate that design for the number of servings they needed (or thereabouts).

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 2:19am
post #8 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitches 

Bwa hahahahahaha!  I needed a good laugh today and THAT, my friend, was one of the funniest things I have heard!

I love that people can't do math when multiplying basic serving cost x number of servings needed.

And your prices are the same as mine!  I torte the wedding cakes so I charge more.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 10:48am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches 

It's been my experience that people read the prices but think they are special. So the posted prices apply to everyone else except them. 

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 1:04pm
post #10 of 12

But I only need 150 servings with just ombre swirls, some sugar roses and those little pearls all over, you know, something simple. That price is for something big and complicated right?

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 10:50pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 

It's been my experience that people read the prices but think they are special. So the posted prices apply to everyone else except them. 

Yeah, they're ALL special!

Just not the I'll work for you for free kind of special group..........

cupncakes35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupncakes35 Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 5:33pm
post #12 of 12

AThanks for everyones imput. I will post my prices, at least this way it will weed out those who think they can get a cheap cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%