Imbc Consistency

Decorating By cakelove2105 Updated 8 Oct 2013 , 12:14am by scrumdiddlycakes

cakelove2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone.

I discovered my passion for cakes few months ago. I'm proudly Dominican and we usually use imbc to cover and decorate our cakes. My problem is that I don't know how to better its constancy for decoration. I do the decoration and the shapes don't last long. I tried adding more sugar but still it ends up  kind of melting down on itself (to say it in some way). 

I'm aware that many of you might not know much about imbc especially the Dominican one, but I guess that when it comes to bc's consistency for decoration its the same.

Thanks in advance. 

4 replies
mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 12:27am
post #2 of 5

I use swiss meringue buttercream and the consistency is quite similar to IMBC. It's a hard buttercream to work with if you're not experienced. I like it for cupcakes and simple designs. I love the perfectly smooth finish it leaves on a cake. I am not a master at any kind of piping! 

I found a site that may help you! 

http://theartisancakeguild.wordpress.com/2012/08/12/how-to-decorate-cakes-with-italian-meringue-buttercream/

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 5

you may want to switch half of the butter in the recipe with vegetable shortening (hi-ratio would be best).  That would perhaps make it firmer and more heat tolerant. 

Please post the exact recipe you use, as there are many variations and there might be a ratio that is off. 

cakelove2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 5

A[quote name="lorieleann" url="/t/764447/imbc-consistency#post_7452430"]you may want to switch half of the butter in the recipe with vegetable shortening (hi-ratio would be best).  That would perhaps make it firmer and more heat tolerant. 

Please post the exact recipe you use, as there are many variations and there might be a ratio that is off.  [/quote

8 egg whites 1 tbs meringue powder 3 c. Of sugar and 2 c. Water (for syrop) 1 tbs of lemon juice and vanilla.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 12:14am
post #5 of 5

That is a lot of sugar and water, typically you use something like 5 egg whites, 1 cup water, 1 pound butter and a total of 1.25 - 1.5 cups sugar.

Some people add more sugar, to cut the buttery flavour a bit more.

Can you post your full recipe/method? There are different steps that affect the consistency, not just the ingredients.

I've never had a problem with consistency. It isn't as easy to pipe as American buttercream, but it shouldn't be losing it's shape.

Unless it is actually melting, I know it gets pretty toasty where you are, if that's the case I would try the hi ratio idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%