Gettin My Name Out There

Baking By SprinklesNC Updated 4 Oct 2013 , 5:27am by Godot

SprinklesNC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SprinklesNC Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 1:29am
post #1 of 12

Hi guys!

Okay, so Monday I plan to head out and drop off cupcakes to "get my name out" - I think I'll do half dozens in 6 different flavors. So heres what I'm thinking

Key lime with key lime icing and a very thin lime wedge as a topper
coconut dreams cupcakes with toasted coconut on top
the "perfect chocolate cupcake" with a marshmellow frosting - graham cracker and 1 bit of Hershey bar on top
A fun little camo cupcake (were in the south and its hunting season!) should I add a topper?

not sure what my other two flavors would be though HELP?

I could do just a basic vanilla cupcake and a red velvet cupcake I guess but I just feel like those are so "blah" compared to the rest... ideas please? THANKS

11 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 1:56am
post #2 of 12

I would definitely do red velvet.  People seem to love that flavor.

How about carrot cake cupcakes?

or Chocolate with mint icing?

LeleCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeleCreations Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 3:13am
post #3 of 12

Recently,  a friend made a banana cupcake with a small reeses pb cup inside topped with peanut butter icing. It was fabulous. You don't need to do the reeses pb cup inside but its a nice surprise.  

How about Almond flavored cupcake, filled with raspberry mouse or jam with chocolate icing topped with toasted almond slices.

seasonal option for the season pumpkin cake and cream cheese icing or apple cake with caramel icing.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

SprinklesNC Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 3:43am
post #4 of 12

AFantastic ideas!! Thank you both!! Maybe a fall cupcake (ie: pumpkin or apple) and then just a simple red velvet - maybe just topped with a dark red crumble or something!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprinklesNC 

Hi guys!

Okay, so Monday I plan to head out and drop off cupcakes to "get my name out" - I think I'll do half dozens in 6 different flavors. So heres what I'm thinking

You seem to be excited about starting up. Excellent! I hope you have written a business plan. If not, your plan is way more important than deciding what flavors to give away. It will help you in knowing how to find your potential target market so you're not giving away free cupcakes to people who love free cupcakes but would not buy your products. Just sayin'...

SprinklesNC Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 12:33pm
post #6 of 12

AI do :) I think though that you have to spend money to make money. I know that if I knew a baker was capable they'd be one of the 1st placed id start when I needed cupcakes or birthday cakes. So I HOPE and PRAY by taking cupcakes by each area hospital, bank, police station where a lot of employees come in and out they'll remember me. Maybe. Hopefully. Ahhhhh LOL

ericapraga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericapraga Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 12:52pm
post #7 of 12

This has been an issue I have been working with. I have done something similar, taken products to likely places-hospitals, delis/caterers, places were people would be likely to order my product. Some have worked out, some have not. I would have to say that 90%of it does not work, at least for me. It is a great idea, and people do love free desserts! But you have to be able to do this continually (like every month or so) for your name to stick. My husband is constantly taking in extras from me to his job, people love it and always say they are going to purchase, and then nothing. I find out they ran across the street from the office to pick up some brownies that they admit are not that good, but they forgot, or needed at the last minute. In the beginning, I felt like it was such a waste of supplies for no orders.

Think about how, why and who you want purchasing your product. Since I am a custom baker (I rent kitchen space, so no storefront) I focus more on restaurant supply and custom cakes. When I am able to get into a storefront,  I will likely switch to a more walk-in, quick purchase type of model, with premade cakes, pies cookies and brownies.  I will still supply my restaurants and custom cakes, but my how, why and who will change with a storefront.

I wish you the best of luck!!!!

LeleCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeleCreations Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 1:46am
post #8 of 12

A deli that includes caterer near my house actually sells homemade cupcakes.  At work I noticed the drug rep uses the same caterer near my house so I stopped in.  It looks like a baker rents a very small part of the space for one fridge with the cupcakes and a stand advertising the baker.  I would suggest asking business owners to take the cupcakes for free to see if the patrons like it.  Pick any place nearby that gets a lot of people. If they have a good response then you can make an arrangement.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 2:49am
post #9 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprinklesNC 

I do icon_smile.gif I think though that you have to spend money to make money. I know that if I knew a baker was capable they'd be one of the 1st placed id start when I needed cupcakes or birthday cakes. So I HOPE and PRAY by taking cupcakes by each area hospital, bank, police station where a lot of employees come in and out they'll remember me. Maybe. Hopefully. Ahhhhh LOL

You have to spend smart money to make money. Just hoping that something will turn out will end up in a lot of expenses and very few returns. Market yourself to people who have the money and desire to buy your desserts. Sometimes, that requires a little more planning and a little less spontaneity (speaking for myself). Think through not just the fun part (for me baking and decorating) but also how to market yourself effectively. Add up how much you'll be giving away in free cupcakes and think about taking out an ad in your local paper / news website for that same amount or having a buy one/get one free also. Just something to think about. Good luck! 

:smile: 

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 2:57am
post #10 of 12

AI would recommend replacing the hope and pray portion of your business plan with market research and a targeted advertising strategy.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 5:10am
post #11 of 12

AMost of the employees at the places you mentioned aren't making enough to buy custom cakes. It seems like a logical way to get word of mouth but you have to focus on reaching the kind of client that can afford you.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 5:27am
post #12 of 12

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

I would recommend replacing the hope and pray portion of your business plan with market research and a targeted advertising strategy.

Yes, this. HOPE and PRAY all you want, but nothing beats a good business plan and proper research.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%