Simple Wedding Cake, But Driving Me Nuts

Decorating By btdubose Updated 7 Oct 2013 , 8:42pm by remnant3333

btdubose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btdubose Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 8

I have a very simple looking wedding cake to do, however for whatever reason it is about ready to make me want to scream.  I have been doing cakes for several years and idk if it's just stress or what, but I have a simple 3 tier wedding cake to do, each tier is 3 layers, my last wedding cake this size collapsed on me during delivery (which is why I think I am so stressed out about this one) so this one will not be assembled until I reach the venue.   It is a simple square cake with a double overlapping fondant border and 3 fondant bows with rhinestone brooch's in center of each bow.

My question is, the fondant border, I can't put it on until after it's assembled; right?  I hate having a crowd watch me work on assembling the cake, is it possible to put the border on before assembling?  there is no other icing border or anything to hide if the fondant gets messed up when stacking the cakes.  It is a double "ribbon" fondant border and if I can't put the border on until I assemble the cake, how do I transport the premade fondant ribbon without it drying out and cracking so I can put it on once I stack them?

Can I place the border on right before I leave to deliver?  will it fare the stacking process ok if it's not completely dry?

Please help ease the stress!!!! thanks!!!

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 8

i've delivered un-stacked cakes with ribbon borders already attached--we carried the cakes in those big plastic tubs layered with shelf liner so nothing slid around--and we either placed them on a bigger cardboard circle to transport--or just slide a spatula under there to pick them up--maybe you should make a little tier cake and drive around with it and then set it up to ease your nerves--good luck

kendra_83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendra_83 Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 8

If you use SPS to stack the tiers or secure a dowel to your board and thread the tiers down onto it, there's no reason a three-tier cake would need to be assembled at the venue.  I've found that if you get it as close to presentation-quality as possible before delivery, it eases anxiety tremendously.  If it's buttercream, make sure it's really cold.  Glue your tiers together with melted chocolate or ganache so that it gets really solid.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 3:04am
post #4 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by btdubose 

my last wedding cake this size collapsed on me during delivery (which is why I think I am so stressed out about this one)

Like the people before me posted, delivering a 3 tier cake shouldn't be any problem. I do think your scared/stressed as you said.............so you have to confront that. Did you figure out what you did wrong that made that cake collapse so that never happens again?

You'll definitely do a better job pre-assembling before delivery with-out any pressure or people.

Ask any questions you might have now, so you can construct your cake perfectly and never have a collapse again. Also ask any questions you might have about that border, now, here so we can help and you'll feel good delivering your cake.

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 8

I use the SPS or coast system for stacking and always deliver the cakes fully assembled.  This cake was delivered Saturday, fully assembled.  It was over 1 hour away.

btdubose Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you all for the advice.  I don't know what made the last one this heavy collapse, I know that my cakes are super moist and I think that may have had something to do with it.  I have delivered three tier double layer cakes assembled, but a triple layer three tier I am just to nervous to try again.   The venue has a Kitchen at it that I can assemble them without an audience, and i'd always rather be safe than sorry.  That feeling of knowing you work so hard on something for it to get destroyed in a matter of seconds completely stinks and I don't want that to happen again.  I have figured out the solution and am not as nervous anymore!  thank you all!!!

btdubose Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 8

Well there it is, I had a few issues, and something happened and made the second tier kinda "droop" on the one corner, but the bride was happy with it.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 8:42pm
post #8 of 8

I knew you could do it!!!! Great job!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%