Beginner's Fondant

Decorating By Cara-mel Updated 3 Oct 2013 , 3:25am by Cara-mel

Cara-mel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cara-mel Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 2:21am
post #1 of 11

AHi, I am new to serious cake decorating and I wanted to know what is best type of fondant to start out learning with? I have heard of all sorts of fondant (satin, marshmallow), fondant gumpaste 50/50 etc. I want to gain skill so I will start out making a weekly cake for my family. You all are definitely more experience than I am, I am good at the cooking and baking, decorating is a new adventure for me. I am grateful for ANY words of wisdom, thank you.

10 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 3:34am
post #2 of 11

AGoogle mmf, or look here in the recipes, it's the marshmallow fondant you referred to. Other than.that, just start skimming the forums here for information. Good luck.

glang1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glang1979 Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 5:20am
post #3 of 11

I only have been at it a year and have made about 5 fondant cakes.  I knew that the Wilton fondant was disgusting so my first attempt was with MMF.  It turned out so-so but I suggest for your first try buy Wilton, Satin Ice, or something ready made....to get the idea of what the proper feel and texture should be like to work with.  My first batch of MMF was way too greasy and shiny and now I know that could of been corrected with additional powdered sugar.  Now I use MMF and it is delicious but I now also know what texture it should be.  Have fun and enjoy, it's addictive!

emetz74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emetz74 Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 8:48am
post #4 of 11

Good. I am trying my first fondant cake this weekend and I am using the Wilton fondant for that very reason.

MustangMollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustangMollie Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 9:33am
post #5 of 11

I'm a beginner too ... I've maybe made 5 fondant covered cakes (all within the last month and a half). I've tried Satin Ice, Pettinice, and Fondarific. I just bought some Fondx today that I'll  test out this weekend. My favourite is Fondarific, I don't have the problems with my fondant drying out and tearing with it like I do with Satin Ice. Fondarific also doesn't get elephant skin :) Good luck! 

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 12:26pm
post #6 of 11

I have tried Wilton's once and HATED it. Used MMF for awhile but just really don't have the time to make it and clean up the mess lately. Satin Ice was much better but too soft and tore easily. I am using Pettinice now and so far it is the best. Next I want to try Fondarific because I hear so many good things.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 2:06pm
post #7 of 11

I say start out with Wilton because it's easy enough to get, or if you can find Satin Ice in a local Hobby Lobby try that. Then decide if you want to try making your own either using MMF or a straight fondant recipe, they're easy enough to find. If you can afford to try all the various fondants out there than you certainly can! 

Cara-mel Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 3:21am
post #8 of 11

AThank you so much!!!

Cara-mel Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 3:22am
post #9 of 11

AThank you very much! Very helpful.

Cara-mel Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 3:24am
post #10 of 11

AThank you! I am getting great advice from everyone.

Cara-mel Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 3:25am
post #11 of 11

AThank you very much who responded, I am always greatful for advice on something I know nothing about. Those of you who were specific and added your own experiences, I am especially appreciative, experiences are most helpful than general advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%