First "real" Cake

Decorating By SprinklesNC Updated 26 Sep 2013 , 1:51am by howsweet

SprinklesNC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SprinklesNC Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 5

I've been decorating for a little bit for friends/family but have NEVER had anyone ask for a cake for an actual event...until today. YIKES! Let the nerves go crazy!! I told her I would do it for FREE because it's a GREAT opportunity to get my name out there, plus to get practice.

It's for a baby shower, and the mom is not feeling the taste of fondant on her cake at all. She wants ButterCream/CreamCheese icing on Red Velvet. Except for the owls on top - shes okay with those being fondant.

So in the picture I'm attaching the icing on the chevron obviously looks thick (I'm assuming its fondant) what tip do I use to get the buttercream that thick on the fondant? I know that sounds like a stupid question to "pros" but with this being the first cake that a lot of people will actually see.... I'm nervous and want it PERFECT. Any help is appreciated.

Also, I do not know who made this cake so I am not able to give credit to anyone - this is just the picture she sent me as reference. Sorry.

4 replies
Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 5

Marvelous Molds (www.marvelousmolds.com) onlays has a great chevron onlay. Easy to work with and thin enough that they won't pull or slide off of buttercream

SprinklesNC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SprinklesNC Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so very much!!

CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 5

It's a beautiful cake, Sprinkles, to make for your first "official" cake. Apart from using the mold suggested above, you can use a DIY paper method also: http://cakegeek.co.uk/index.php/chevron-cake/.

I don't use piping tips much so I'm afraid I'm not much help here, but maybe someone else might know?

Best of luck with the cake and have fun!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 1:51am
post #5 of 5

Lovely!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%