Are The Classes At Craftsy.com Worth It?

Decorating By dianadors Updated 4 Oct 2013 , 4:40am by iseesmith

dianadors Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianadors Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 10

Are those classes better for those with a lot of experience or little experience? 

Anyone have pros/cons about taking these classes online (are they worth it)

Thanks!

9 replies
scorpio1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scorpio1966 Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 10

I have taken a few of the craftsy classes and I really love them, I learn a lot, and I can do it on my own time.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 10

AIt depends. Search for a member called costumeczar. She has a blog where she reviews each class including how they may or may not be effective for each skill level.

therealmrsriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therealmrsriley Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 10

I've taken several classes and I like them. I always learn something new even if it's a topic I feel I know pretty well. If you sign up, you can almost always get a coupon at least once a month for various courses. If you're feeling unsure, I'd recommend that you sign up for the free classes (I think the hand painted cake and modern buttercream are free). Those classes will give you a good feel for how Craftsy works. HTH

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 10

ASome are, some aren't. It depends on the class and what you hope to get from it I think.

viannescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
viannescakes Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 10

I've purchased 18 cake decorating classes on Craftsy, so I think I could share a bit of my feedbacks here.

First the good things. According to Craftsy, you have access to the videos forever. You can view them anytime based on your schedule. You can watch any part again and again if you wish. Also you can ask questions, and the instructors answer by themselves.

Most of the classes are thorough, detail-oriented, and a bit slow-paced. They definitely help cure my insomnia!

They've got some really good decorators who are world famous, like Collette Peters, and Nicholas Lodge.

Craftsy constantly have sale events. I usually buy the classes on sale, around $20 or $30 for each.

Now the honest part, which are not all positive feedbacks.

Most of them are more helpful for beginners, unexperienced decorators. If you have been making gum paste flowers for years, and have experience with many kinds of flowers, definitely don't waste your money on Craftsy. If you're an experienced wedding cake maker who makes 10+ wedding cakes every year, again, Craftsy classes are not worth of the money for you.

Most of the classes don't assume much pre-requisite skills of the audience. Many of them show you the process of covering cakes with fondant, which becomes redundant if you've bought several classes. 

Some classes are simply too slow, and with unnecessary fillers just to make it long enough to be a class by itself.

In some classes, the camera isn't positioned right.

Overall, the classes are good stuff, if you are relatively inexperienced, buy on sale, and are keen to learn.

KarenK55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenK55 Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 10

It is so worth it !   :-)  Try it - you will like it .

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 10

AI have purchased several and have learned some things and found them worth it ONLY if I get them during a significant sale. I prefer to buy videos on disks, because I can loan them out, give them away or turn around and resell them when I'm done with them.

My main complaint: too much filler. I don't need symphonies and storylines... Just show mw how to do it. I don't have that much time to sit and watch all day.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 10

I've been doing the reviews on my blog...The classes are a mixed bag. Some are worthwhile because the instructors are vey experienced adn are covering skills that you'll actually be able to use. Others are mostly filler with only one real skill being taught, and seem to be there because the decorator is a flavor of the month one-trick pony.

They're best for beginners, for the most part. Read my reviews if you want, I try to be honest about them and not say that it's great if it isn't. Some of them are definitely worth skipping because you can find everything in them online and there's only one thing covered. The ones that are definitely worth buying are the Nicholas Lodge ones and the James Rosselle ones. There's also one that covers isomalt that's really good, but you might not have any use for that. The classic cars one is really good because it does have a lot of tips that you could use in other types of cakes. Look on my blog and click on the Craftsy tag in one of the boxes on the right side of the page and the reviews should all come up.

You could always try the free classes first to see if you like the format, and remember that Craftsy does a money-back guarantee if you honestly and truly got nothing from the class.

iseesmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iseesmith Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 4:40am
post #10 of 10

I have 25 years experience and I still have learned so many little tips and tricks that help make my job more efficient and take care of problems that I have had in the past with various different mediums.  I only buy them when they are half off though.  I end up fast forwarding through the parts that I find redundant or not useful to me.  I love craftsy!  I would recommend Marina Sousa's classes, Colette Peters, I learned a bit from Lisa Berczel"s airbrush class and really enjoyed Zoe Clark's lace cakes class.  (Although her delivery is kind of monotone you will enjoy her accent) 

Sign up for the free classes to get the idea of how it works.....I think there is at least 3 free cake classes.  There are so many new and different techniques to learn and it is smart to keep up with the trends.  People love watching all the cake shows on cable and they are more savvy about what the possibilities are with cake.  Depending on your market, you can't just do buttercream anymore and expect that you can grow your client base and become well known........these days people want more and they want unique and original.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%