Caster Sugar Vs Regular Sugar For French Macarons. What Should I Use? Different? Please Help!

Sugar Work By Anna1211 Updated 25 Sep 2013 , 12:15am by auzzi

Anna1211 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna1211 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 8:17am
post #1 of 5

Hi guys,

I been making french macaroons at home and i am on my third attempt. I notice some people use caster sugar and some recipes say regular sugar. which is better and does it make a difference? If so, how? thanks!

4 replies
cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 8:43am
post #2 of 5

I use castor sugar and icing sugar.  Normal sugar is a lot harder to get to dissolve.

LindaQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaQ Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 11:18am
post #3 of 5

i know castor sugan is finer but i can not find it where i live but i read somewhere that i can take regular sugar and grind it to make it finer do you know if that i true

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 11:44am
post #4 of 5

Yes, you can run regular sugar through a food processor and it will make it into caster sugar!

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 12:15am
post #5 of 5

Commercially produced caster sugar uses a process that results in crystals that are uniform in size. The trouble with grinding it yourself will be the unevenness of the grind. The crystal size may range from powder to slightly smaller than normal size crystals. 

Using the Italian method, the size/type of crystal does not matter... have you considered that method? Which process are you using to make the meringue?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%