Hi Ratio Butterceam Recipe

Baking By WeezyS Updated 21 Sep 2013 , 3:02am by goodvibrations

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 2:28am
post #1 of 3

I finally broke down and bought some hi-ratio shortening. I tried one recipe for buttercream and wasn't too crazy about it. It consisted of 1 cup shortening, 2 cups PS, 1/2 cup milk and flavorings. I didn't find it very smooth and creamy like I was hoping.

Does anyone have a good crusting buttercream recipe they'd like to share using hi-ratio shortening? I prefer not using butter in my buttercream, just shortening and butter flavoring.  Or should I just stick to my regular recipe and replace the Crisco with hi-ratio?

Thanks for any help.

2 replies
BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 2:29am
post #2 of 3

ASugarshack has a good recipe.

goodvibrations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodvibrations Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 3:02am
post #3 of 3

Just curious why you don't want to use butter? My recipe below calls for butter but you can replace the butter with shortening. To answer your question, you can just stick to your regular recipe and replace the Crisco with hi-ratio.

Crusting Buttercream Icing

Ingredients

• 2 cups of hi ratio shortening
  • 4 sticks butter
  • 4 pounds powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 3 tbls. flavorings (I like to use 1 tbls. vanilla, 1 tbls. almond, 1 tbls. lemon juice)
  • Hot liquid as needed (Note: make the liquid by mixing half cup of hot water with half cup of powdered coffee creamer)

Instructions

Cream butter, shortening and flavorings until smooth. Add powdered sugar in a slow steady stream on speed one. Add hot liquid as needed. Typically no more than 2 tbls. When all the powdered sugar is mixed in, go to highest speed until very smooth. Usually about 5 minutes. Scrape down bowl sides frequently.

I place a plastic grocery bag over the Kitchen-Aid through entire process to avoid sugar storm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%