One Sample Flavour Enough For Wedding Fayre??

Business By Snowflakebunny23 Updated 20 Sep 2013 , 2:32pm by Snowflakebunny23

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 3

AHi everyone, I've just signed up to do my first wedding fayre (super excited!!) but am now getting down to the logistics and probably the most important bit....the samples! First thought was to do 3 flavours, then reality hit and realised that may be somewhat optimistic with everything else that will be going on. I read a few threads and many seem to just offer one flavour but I am sure that wedding fayres I went to as a b2b had a fair few. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Chocolate mud cake is probably my most popular but I am also keen to change people's views of fruit cake (if I can!) which seems to have gone out of fashion in the uk lately...

2 replies
CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 3

Hi Snowflake, one of your options can be the ever-popular chocolate biscuit cake, so that will cut down the work a bit! (I add pink and white marshmallows to mine to give it a pop of colour).

With the sponge cakes, you could just make a plain square sponge, cut it in half and fill each side with different flavour buttercreams.

Personally, I love a rich brandy fruitcake myself, but a lot of people under 50 seem to hate it for some reason, which is a shame.

Also, I'd cut the samples (last thing before you go to keep them from drying out) into bite size squares and put them in petits fours cases.  It's easier for people to eat this way, instead of having bigger samples.  Have some serviettes left on your display table too.

One final thought, when you're packing your samples to go, one tip I got from a hotel chef before is to get a sheet of greaseproof paper/parchment paper, bunch it up and soak it thoroughly under  a tap.  Then squeeze out all the water and lay this damp paper over your samples.  Wedding venues do this with trays of sandwiches they've made for the afters to stop them drying out.

Enjoy the day!

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the tips CakeGeek!  Especially the one about the greeseproof paper...I'd never have thought of that but will certainly give it a go.

I am totally with you on the fruit cake perception but I have a theory...most people over 40-50 will probably have experienced their mums/grandmothers make a proper home-made fruit cake whereas the younger generation have grown up with supermarket christmas cakes etc.  I have given friends my age (mid 20s) fruit cake and while they took it begrudgingly, they loved it (one even changed her wedding cake for it!)...they just need to try the proper stuff!! hehe.

Must also add serviettes to the shopping list as well... Thank you again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%