Cutting Cake, With Cake Saw

Decorating By tamcameron Updated 29 Sep 2013 , 12:17pm by cupcakemaker

tamcameron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamcameron Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 9:50am
post #1 of 7

AHi there, I'm very new to his sort of business, and have only made two cakes. I'm having a problem cutting the cake into three layers with a cake saw.Can someone advise the best way to do this and should the cake be cold before.

I'm also having a problem making it look perfectly round on top with nice edges and not like wavy..

If any one can help I would be very greatful.

Thanks Rob

6 replies
LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 7

There is a free class on Crafsty called Basic Buttercream or something like that, which gives a really good introduction to the basics like this.  Also, use the search function on this website to see what had already been posted - there's tons of good advice here.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 7

I know a lot of people hate the Wilton cake saw...but I actually love it and have no problems.   I also always cut a cold cake..maybe that helps.

105sruss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
105sruss Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 3:09am
post #4 of 7

Hi,

A cake wire is good as it pulls through dead evenly, but never do it hot.

CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 7

Hi Rob, I had a huge collection of cake saws/wires/torting devices until I came across my lifesaver tool: its the Kitbox brand cake marking tool and I've never looked back since. (I've written a review here with pic: http://cakegeek.co.uk/index.php/reviews/).  I use that in conjunction with a long bread knife and cut cakes when they are cold (but not refrigerated.)

As for the wavy edges, a small spirit level is your best bet here (along with having torted your cake level in the first place. Each time you add a layer of buttercream followed by cake, check that the top is level.

Hope this helps!

tamcameron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamcameron Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 10:52am
post #6 of 7

AHey, all thanks for the reply trying a couple of cakes now will keep you up to date on how they go.

Au the best Rob for your time and effort

cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 7

AI user something similar to cake geek but its a Wilton one. I score all around the top then use a sharp knife and keep moving the cake around. With torting I use a leveller, I used to drag through the other half of the cake but recently learnt if you keep moving the cake there's only a tiny bit left for it to exit. Not sure if I've explained that well! I also have a spirit level!

I bet people don't have a clue what's involved before even covering a cake :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%