Making Macaroons

Baking By bonzo14 Updated 18 Sep 2013 , 5:03pm by bonzo14

bonzo14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonzo14 Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 9

AHas anyone good tips for making macaroons - I have tried 2 batches but the first lot spread , which I gather is the mix and the second batch cracked on top - would love to master them - any tips welcome

8 replies
IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 9

AMacaroons or macarons? They are completely different cookies.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 9

AMacarons?

Practice, practice and practice.

Try different recipes. Weigh everything - don't measure. Calibrate your oven. Practice.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 9

Be lucky! You might do the exact same thing on two different days and one day they'll be perfect and on a different day they could be rubbish. 

manicgeisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manicgeisha Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 9

Spreading could be overmixing.   I found watching videos on youtube helped me understand proper macaronage (the batter, when you fold it all together).    

Cracking could just be too high of oven heat.   The last few times I made them, I had to lower my temp by 50 degrees, and leave the door open with a spoon propped in. 

But there are a lot of factors to go wrong.   For me those are the my main culprits.

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 9

I took a class on this at a local cake shop and the most important thing I learned was to let them 'sit' and air dry for about 20 minutes before you bake them. They should have a crust or dull look to them before you bake.

Sue

adamsgama Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 9

I took a class on this at a local cake shop and the most important thing I learned was to let them 'sit' and air dry for about 20 minutes before you bake them. They should have a crust or dull look to them before you bake.

Sue

adamsgama Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 9

PS, also make sure you bake them on Parchment paper, it alsp stops spreading.

Sue

bonzo14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonzo14 Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 5:03pm
post #9 of 9

AThanks everyone - should have specified Macarons. Have discovered a Mary Berry recipe - the cake and cookie godess, so will be trying that tomorrow - will share if it works! Fingers crossed

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%