Inspiration

Decorating By Nickithebaker Updated 17 Sep 2013 , 3:39pm by embersmom

Nickithebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickithebaker Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 4:13am
post #1 of 6

I have been looking at the gallery and there are so many beautiful, creative cakes.  I am not creative, I can look at a picture and think ok, I can make that, but without looking at pictures I'm stuck.  I really don't want to copy other peoples designs, how do you guys come up with your own original designs?  Where do you draw your inspiration from? 

5 replies
madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 4:47am
post #2 of 6

Inspiration can come from anywhere. I have been inspired by greeting cards, a party invitation or napkin, wall art, coloring books, an evening gown, a vase of flowers, my garden, etc. I found it helpful to take a floral arrangement class in addition to cake decorating classes. I look at how colors are used together whether it's on a business sign, clothing, a bed spread or wherever and use those as my color pallet for my cakes.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 5:03am
post #3 of 6

Creativity comes easier to some than others, but the hustle and bustle of life and the cake business can really interfere with creativity. I was more creative when I first started partly because I wasn't in rush to quote out so many inquiries in a day and partly because I hadn't seen so many cakes. And also partly because I hadn't developed a habit of a way of doing things.

I have to find a way to relax and used to do some of my best work with a sketch pad while soaking in the tub.

That said, almost everybody copies everybody's cakes and in my opinion there is nothing at all wrong with that. Hardly anyone can come up with 3-5 completely original works every week.

CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 6

Hi Nicki, great question to post!

When I started out I was just thrilled if I was able to re-create someone else's design from a cake decorating book, but as you get more experienced, you get an even bigger kick out of cake decorating if you come up with your own original designs.

For me I started with bridal magazines - I would look at the flow of the fabric, the draping, the accents, the structure of wedding dresses and bridal  bouquets to inspire me. I should probably expand my source of inspiration a bit more to eg. jewellery, architecture, fine art, gardens, but never seem to have time to sit down and read anymore! It's a good idea to keep a scrapbook of clippings from magazines to browse through for inspiration when you need to come up with a new design.

I work mostly on wedding cakes, but I also keep a folder for novelty cake design ideas with separate sections for side designs, toppers, lettering, colour schemes, etc so that I can mix and match those for new designs.  Children's toys and books, if I had time to look at them would yield lots of inspiration, I'd imagine.  Good luck, Nicki!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 6

I start with someone else's design, and then I take the elements I like and put it into my own design!  Buttercream is so forgiving, so you can attach things and re-attach things (like gum paste flowers) until you like what you see.

I also look at colors I like together everywhere, but particularly from nature.  A purple butterfly on a blue hydrangea, a red tomato, the yellow sun and it's many shades...all kinds of things make for color combos!

Hot pink and orange are my current favs...

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norasmom 

I start with someone else's design, and then I take the elements I like and put it into my own design!  Buttercream is so forgiving, so you can attach things and re-attach things (like gum paste flowers) until you like what you see.

I also look at colors I like together everywhere, but particularly from nature.  A purple butterfly on a blue hydrangea, a red tomato, the yellow sun and it's many shades...all kinds of things make for color combos!

Hot pink and orange are my current favs...

I do the same thing :)  I like putting my own spin on things. 

I'm a big color person too, and I pick up combinations from anywhere -- magazines, nature, home decor, you name it.  One thing I love to do is to walk outside and notice how colors change as the season changes.  If I'm doing a fall-centric cake, I don't do plain red/orange/yellow -- there's crimson and burnt orange, gold, burnt sienna (as opposed to chocolate, say), and variations all within each.

My summer palette is hot pink and orange with dashes of bright green, yellow, purple, and sky blue :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%