Still Have Questions-Silhouette Cameo

Decorating By texascakebaker Updated 17 Sep 2013 , 7:19am by lindseyjhills

texascakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texascakebaker Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 9

AOk, so I have spent some time researching this and still have questions. Everyone is talking about the print and cut feature, so I can't figure out what I want to know...

1. Will this machine cut fondant? I want to avoid gum paste for taste reasons... 2. Do I have to have an edible printer? Will this machine not just cut out an image?

I know this subject has been exhausted, but I can't seem to figure out if the Cameo is good for the above purposes. I would greatly appreciate anyone's input.

8 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 9

AYou do not need a printer. You can cut shapes.

Never tried fondant. May be too soft.

lindseyjhills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseyjhills Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 9

AI agree with DeliciousDesserts, I think fondant would be too soft for a Cameo. I've only used edible icing sheets and edible wafer/rice paper in mine. And it grips those pretty tightly, so I can imagine it would tear fondant!

You do not need an edible printer, as without one you can still cut shapes - similar to, albeit more limited materials-wise, a Cricut. However, I believe having an edible printer in addition to a Cameo opens up so many more possibilities.

For example if you do want to cut out an image (not just a shape) you will need to print it yourself from the silhouette software. This is where the print & cut feature comes in. When you print your image from the software, the printer also prints readable 'crop-marks' on the edges of your icing sheet. When you put the printed icing sheet in the Cameo, the laser reads these crop marks so it knows where to cut. You could not just put any preprinted image into a cameo and expect it to cut - it needs the crop-marks. Hope that makes sense.

In short, being an owner of both machines, if you just want to cut shapes from a wide variety of edible materials (fondant, gumpaste, cookie dough etc.) then a Cricut is the way to go.

If you want to print & cut edible images then I'd advise a Cameo + edible printer combo. I made the butterflies on these cupcakes using my printer and Cameo. [IMG ALT="Butterflies and flowers cupcakes."]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3083505/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

texascakebaker Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 9

AThank you both! Lindsey, that's the best summation of the two that I have seen. I was getting the impression that the Cameo's main attraction was the Print and Cut. Thanks again!

lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 9

For me, the main point on the Cameo is that you can create your own shapes in the software. I do not have one, so don't know about fondant , though it is touted as able to do so (see below re Cricut.)

The newer Cricut no longer works with software to create your own shapes.  You can use their Design Room to combine items, but then will have to purchase the cassettes in order to cut.  (unless something has changed recently)

The Cricut cuts EI sheets, and even those Wilton sugar sheets do OK.  The Cricut will cut fondant, esp with tylose powder in it to firm it up.  This can be a challenge, but I have had success on several occasions.

So, are you a computer person?  or are you more of a "push the button for a shape" person?  I was fortunate to get software for my Cricut before it was no longer supported, and I will never update my machine, as I like to create my own designs.

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 9

AOP, have you checked out *******************? If you purchased yours through them, it will come with a dvd and a book of how to do print and cut and so much more.

I am able to edit my image, print from edible printer, then cut the exact shape of the image. I am also able to design and cut my own stencil.

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 9

AOops! I didn't know that's blocked. Sent you a message

texascakebaker Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 12:22am
post #8 of 9

Thanks! Yes, I will definitely buy the package from Linda if I decide on the Cameo.

lindseyjhills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseyjhills Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 7:19am
post #9 of 9

AI didn't realise that about the new Cricut (not being able to use the software anymore) that sucks :( I haven't used mine for well over a year!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%