Make Hardened Cut Outs

Decorating By tinam1 Updated 19 Sep 2013 , 4:26pm by tinam1

tinam1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinam1 Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 7

AI want to make a cut out cake topper to put on my daughter's baby shower cake. I'm not good at sculpting so I think I could do it this way. But I need it to be on a scewer or something and hard fondant so I can stick it down in the cake. I want it to match the baby booty umberella invitations I'm getting from storky.com. can anyone help me. Thanks so much.

6 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 3:05am
post #2 of 7

You can make the umbrella and stick the skewer in it while it is soft. Let it harden up and it should be fine to stick in a cake. You will need to do it way ahead of time so that it hardens in time. How long ahead of time depends on how thick it is. You can use the invitation as a template. 

CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 7

Hi Tinam1, this is a great way to make a topper for a cake if you're not keen on modelling (neither am I!).  What I would do is make two cut-outs and glue them together with two cocktail sticks sandwiched between them to insert it into the cake. Have fun!

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 7

Make sure you make the cut out from gum paste or fondant with tylose powder kneaded in so it will get hard enough to hold its shape when it's upright. Just fondant will probably never get hard enough. One way you can stand it up (if you don't mind having a back side of the cake) is to place a lollipop stick on the back side and use a strip of fondant to hold it on. Use water or gum glue to attach the strip of fondant.

tinam1 Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 7

AOk great. Thank you so much for info. I will try that.

tinam1 Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 7

A

Original message sent by dawnybird

Make sure you make the cut out from gum paste or fondant with tylose powder kneaded in so it will get hard enough to hold its shape when it's upright. Just fondant will probably never get hard enough. One way you can stand it up (if you don't mind having a back side of the cake) is to place a lollipop stick on the back side and use a strip of fondant to hold it on. Use water or gum glue to attach the strip of fondant.

Original message sent by CakeGeekUk

Hi Tinam1, this is a great way to make a topper for a cake if you're not keen on modelling (neither am I!).  What I would do is make two cut-outs and glue them together with two cocktail sticks sandwiched between them to insert it into the cake. Have fun!

Great idea. Thanks so much:-D

tinam1 Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 7

AI never thought of using the invite as a template. What another great idea. I will probably use a couple of them so I can use one for the base and others to paste on top for each section. This will be my first experience. Thanks a heap. I'm really excited to make this for my daughter. But she wants me to do a trial cake first. Lol..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%