What Is Best Chocolate To Use For Chocolate Dipped Strawberries! Please Help! Urgent For Party

Sugar Work By Anna1211 Updated 21 Sep 2013 , 3:13pm by BatterUpCake

Anna1211 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna1211 Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 15

Hi guys,

I was wondering what chocolate is best for chocolate dipped strawberries. I recently made some and used the nestle chocolate chips! But they tend to melt easier! When i was driving them to the party, they were already a little sweaty! Anyway i can prevent this issue by using another chocolate ? Please help!

14 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 15

I like using the chocolate almond bark..The big blocks at walmart.  I break it and melt it in the microwave. 

candyladies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladies Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 11:45am
post #3 of 15

AI like Merkens...you have to make them close to when you will be serving them. If you refrigerate overnight they will start to sweat once you take them out of fridge. The juices in the strawberry...

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 11:48am
post #4 of 15

But neither of those are chocolate!!! They don't have the melting problem but I would probably deliver mine in a cooler before I would use fake chocolate, but that is just my preference. I wonder what Sherrie's Berries uses?

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 15

Merckens makes a lot of products.  Some are candy melts.  Some are chocolate. 

The point here is do what works.  If you are comfortable with candy melts, use them.  Some taste better than others.

If you are OK working with chocolate, get the best you can afford.

Merckens makes both well.

dessertsnoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessertsnoelle Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 15

Make it fast and easy.  I use Ghirardelli 60% cocoa chocolate chips.  For lighter chocolate lovers use Nestle semi-sweet.  Use a pyrex one cup measuring cup and dump some chocolate chips in.  About a half cup then add heavy whipping cream, enough to cover the bottom times two.  Melt in the microwave for 39 seconds.  Start low on your time and work your way up so you don't burn the chocolate. Always start with a lower number.  Stir with a silicone spatula until melted. If the chips are not fully melted put it back in for a few seconds and stir again.  Wash and dry the strawberries, I roll them in paper towels to make sure you absorb the water. Its best to wash and dry your strawberries and let them air dry as much as you can.  Dip them into your measuring cup with your green stem careful . If you would like a diagonal effect tip your measuring cup to the side.  This also helps get that last bit of chocolate.  Place on parchment paper, then the frig, if you need a faster result use the freezer until the Choco is set and hard. Use a very flat plastic spatula to take the chocolate covered strawberries off the parchment for proper placement on your final presentation.  This will give you a shiny finish.  I use Kahlua and  Baileys in my chocolate a lot, to add a kick of flavor, I wish you the best and don't stress out about it.  There is always a lot of allowance for this method.  Sincerely, Noelle

BatterUpCake Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 10:54am
post #7 of 15

The OP already uses Nestle. The problem was the chocolate melting.

105sruss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
105sruss Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 3:01am
post #8 of 15

Hi,

I've got a friend who does it a lot professionally, also chocolate fountain, and she always uses the finest Belgian chocolate if that's any help, It is a bit expensive though.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 3:12am
post #9 of 15

AI dip in ganache. I like it better.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 3:35am
post #10 of 15

Merkens has been around for a very long time. You would be surprised that most people cant tell the difference. It tastes good. It will give you a nice smooth coating and it melts easy. Don't

knock it till you try it!

BatterUpCake Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 11:10am
post #11 of 15

I wasn't knocking Merkens. I have about a dozen bags at all times. I just wouldn't use it for strawberries or fake ganache as I see some people do. That's just my personal preference.

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 11:14pm
post #12 of 15

I like the Wiltons candy melts. . I'm not sure if its Merkens brand but whatever brand they usually sell over in the fruit produce for that exact purpose is NASTY..yes its that gross it reminds me of the cheap easter chocolates. Its a yellow squatty container with brown writing. The wiltons tastes good and works great for me.

BatterUpCake Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 12:41pm
post #13 of 15

That can't be Merkens. Merkens actually tastes good

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 1:22pm
post #14 of 15

Ya I don't remember the name but there's the disclaimer..lol...stay clear of packages in fruit section that claim they are for covering fruit. Funny thing was it was more expensive than the Wiltons.

BatterUpCake Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 3:13pm
post #15 of 15

That made me think of caramel apples and now I want one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%