Too Many Eggs?

Decorating By MJBcakes Updated 12 Sep 2013 , 7:37pm by MJBcakes

MJBcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJBcakes Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 7

AI found a recipe that I want to try. Most of the cake recipes I have call for 2 or 3 eggs. This recipe calls for 4. What would the affect be if I use 3,rather than 4?

6 replies
SweetCarolines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCarolines Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 7

ACan you post it?

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 7

Use the recipe as is, add the 4 eggs, there is a reason for them you won't know if you like the recipe unless you try it as written, after you make it the first time if you decide you want to tweak it then do so, but unless you follow the recipe at least to start with you won't know what it was supposed to taste like. Why try to change it before you ever try it  as written?

MJBcakes Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 7

AI wasn't saying I didn't or wouldn't like it. I was just asking what the affect would be if I used one less egg....

Here is the recipe:

1 (18 1/4 ounce) package devil's food cake mix 1 (4 ounce) box instant chocolate pudding mix 1 cup sour cream 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup vegetable oil 4 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 2 9-inch round cake pans. Dust with flour and tap out the excess; set pans aside. Place the cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, water, oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl. On medium low speed, continue to blend for 2-3 minutes more. The batter will be very thick and should look well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans and smooth it out. Bake for 27-32 minutes

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 7

AEggs add volume, so maybe your cake could come out slightly more dense? But with a box mix base, those are supposed to be pretty foolproof, so you may not notice a difference with one less egg. The only thing to do is try, I guess.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 7

Sometimes if I'm low on eggs I'll reduce a recipe by one egg and replace it with 1/4 cup liquid. (One egg = 1/4 cup liquid.)  

Egg whites help bind, and egg yolks help tenderizer; so if you make too many egg changes you're creating a new untested recipe that might or might not work the way you want it to. 

MJBcakes Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 7

AThanks for the inputs :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%