Cake Tasting Results For A Bridal Shower Cake

Baking By cakeymom Updated 3 Sep 2013 , 4:18pm by Godot

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 6

This morning I delivered a sample box of four cupcakes for a tasting.  I did not charge because this is the sister of my best friend. 

First of all, my pride more than my feelings are a little hurt.  This cake recipe produces a very fine crumb and is super light on the palate(I use a mix of butter and oil).  Even my 21 year old son, who has become a cake critic told me so last night when he tasted a sample.  He also stated that the frosting was equally as light.  And stated that it was like he was not even eating cake it was so light.

This is a scratch recipe that I have perfected and get rave reviews on consistently.  I can not help but wonder if she was not wanting to pay the 125.00(which is a steal) for a two tiered cake.  The design for which she provided.  Or is that, and I mean no harm and am not trying to stir up the scratch vs doctored/mix debate.  But is it that she is so used to a non-scratch mix that she is comparing an excellent scratch cake to it???  Maybe it is in the texture that she sees and not going by the mouth-feel???

At any rate I am very satisfied as are the major majoring of my clients.  I must realize that people like what they like and that is the reason for tastings, but I will change my policy and have them pay for it no matter who it is in the future.

Cakeymom

5 replies
BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 6

You never told us what she said?

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 6

ADon't feel too bad. People are used to what they are used to. I recently made two different batches of cupcakes. I hated one but loved the other. My family liked the ones I hated and didn't really care for the ones I really liked. People who just eat the cake and don't make it are usually expecting to get something familiar whereas those of us who bake are aiming for our idea of perfection.

If your recipes are that good (and it sounds like they are!) don't let the opinion of one or two people get you down. You can't please everyone unfortunately.

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 6

I'm sorry I danced all around it with my rant.  She did not like it. 

But, I would rather her taste it now and not like it opposed to her not liking the actual bridal shower cake and it possibly spilling over to the friendship I have with her sister.

Cakeymom

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 6

I hope you didn't have to make 4 different batches of batter? I keep some of my most popular cuppies in the freezer. Not everyone likes the same thing. Just think, some people think grocery store cakes are the best ever...price probably was a big factor too since people expect grocery prices. Chin up!

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 6

AUngrateful git.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%