Buttercream Is Always Grainy

Decorating By amurohini Updated 3 Sep 2013 , 2:54pm by ddaigle

amurohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amurohini Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 3:35am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone I am new to cc. I am tried using so many recipes for buttercream icing but all of them come out to be grainy in texture. So i have using 250 gms of shortening, 500 gms icing sugar, tsp of butter flavour and tsp of vanilla flavour and water to adjust the consistency. Beat the icing for nearly 15-20 mins but still can taste the grainy texture. Moreover I have tried changing the sugar have used pure cane sugar as well. have been buying shortening from baker here in australia as we do not have crisco brand here . Could anyone please help me out, and cannot use IMBC or SMBC as allergic to eggs. can anyone provide a good recipe here as I am badly in need, I am going to bake my son's first birthday cake. Thanks in advance

7 replies
cakesbydustin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydustin Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 3:40am
post #2 of 8

are you sifting the sugar?

amurohini Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 3:43am
post #3 of 8

yes I am sifting the sugar before adding it gradually to the buttercream 

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 4:03am
post #4 of 8

Are you willing to try a slightly different recipe? Try replacing 1/2 the shortening with butter; leave out the butter flavor and use vanilla; replace the water with milk or cream, at slightly warmer than room temperature. Add a pinch of salt and 1/2 tsp lemon juice.

cakesbydustin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydustin Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 4:04am
post #5 of 8

hmmmmm, I would just try cutting back on the sugar a little bit, then taste and add more if needed. I know there is a fine line from being perfect and too much. just have to tweak recipe a bit to find the sweet spot. good luck. hope you find a fix

amurohini Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 4:28am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee 

Are you willing to try a slightly different recipe? Try replacing 1/2 the shortening with butter; leave out the butter flavor and use vanilla; replace the water with milk or cream, at slightly warmer than room temperature. Add a pinch of salt and 1/2 tsp lemon juice.

Sure would try this recipe and see how it works. Thank you for sharing

Cakesandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesandstuff Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 12:09pm
post #7 of 8

ATry adding more butter/shortening or less sugar, also, shortening can get a grainy texture if beaten for too long.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 2:54pm
post #8 of 8

In the millions of batches of BC I have made (well, maybe not that many) and the different recipes over the years....Butter/Crisco.(with Butter Cream Dream recipe)...Crisco only (with Indy Debi/Sugar Shack)..adding Dream Whip, adding powdered coffee creamer, I am now using High Ratio Shortening, PS & water only (with extracts)...I have only  had a grainy batch of BC once.   I truly believe I had a bad batch of PS.    I do not believe over mixing because a I let my mixer go for a lonnnnnnnnnng time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%