Will Dry Ice Freeze A Cake Or Just Keep It Cool?

Decorating By Soprina Updated 8 Sep 2013 , 8:43pm by Soprina

Soprina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Soprina Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 2:12am
post #1 of 5

I am making a little 6" cake that is going to be covered in m.m.f. and going to have gumpaste sesame street figures (4 of them) around and ontop of the cake. I have to keep it refridgerated because it will have cream cheese filling but I am making it for my neighbors and they will be traveling 4 hours with it, I have been trying to search for answers on the best way to keep this cake chilled. I don't want to freeze it because I don't know what will happen to fondant or gumpaste if I freeze it and it "thaws" when they get there. I saw a thread on using dry ice but everyone says the cake starts out frozen. I don't want to ruin my figures and would like to put them on and around the cake and send it off as a whole and not separate (like the figures in separate box than the cake) Does anyone have any suggestions?? I have never traveled more than a half hour with a cake and sending it with people that are totally unfamiliar with it is almost sending my kid to school with strangers it feels like lol (ok maybe not quite that bad) but you get my point. Help??

4 replies
bbsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbsmom Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 5

I have transported several cakes using dry ice, BUT mine were BC covered with fondant accents so others may have better advice...! I can tell you to be sure to use a heavy (moving type) box as the ice will "melt" and make the area where you put it damp/wet. I usually put it on a piece of foil to help this problem. Also-don't "over do" the ice-I usually travel 2 hrs for family delivers(in FL) and put a small chunk in each corner, maybe a 2-3" piece, and still have ice at the end of the trip. The time I put larger pieces in, I had the problem with sweating on the cake. Perhaps cutting a small vent in the top would help prevent this? This may sound silly, but you might want to mark on the box a warning not to touch the dry ice-they might not "think/remember" when they finally arrive:)! Oh, and my cakes were not frozen, just chilled, to start with, nor did they arrive frozen.

Soprina Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 2:27am
post #3 of 5

they now have an idea to use a plastic bin with dry ice cover it in blanket and have a rack ontop leaving a space then resting the cake on the rack the cake will be inclosed in a box....I told them about the sweating problem and such they seem to have a plan and have worked with dry ice before just not for cake purposes....the foil is an awesome idea though I will mention it but the ice wont be directly in the box with the cake I guess. I'm leaving it up to them to figure out how to transport it just giving helpful suggestions and I'm SO paranoid about this little cake making it ok lol...crazy....well thank you for your reply it was helpful!!

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 5

Just beware that dry ice needs to vent so the container cannot be sealed completely. The resulting carbon dioxide can become toxic to the people riding in the vehicle if you are in there very long. I did a lot of research on this recently because of a cake order I had out of state. 

Soprina Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 5

thank you for the info didn't know that it needed to vent if riding for long period of time and didn't think of it effecting people but it is a duh thing when you think about it lol.... any way I shall find out how the cake made it tomorrow they will be home :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%