Transport Problem

Decorating By Norasmom Updated 2 Sep 2013 , 4:06pm by Norasmom

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 10

I made a 10" round rosette cake, 4" high and delivered it to my customer's house.  It was buttercream and they were taking it an hour away the next day.  It was not refrigerated.

It collapsed in transport in their car.  Did this happen because it needed to be refrigerated to firm up?  Were the rosettes too heavy to stay properly adhered to the side of the cake?

I feel badly.  The customer was not upset at all, but it was such a pretty cake and I wish they could have fully enjoyed it.

Any ideas?  I didn't dowel it, maybe that's that's the entire issue...facepalm!!

9 replies
knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 10

Always refrigerate for maximum firmness and stability!! I don't know why that happened.  Were the dowels put in at an angle to support the 4"?  Maybe they were slightly angled and with all the weight could only take so many hours of the pressure from above.  I have no idea.  Refrigeration would have helped to have a cold, firm cake. 

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 10

I have only doweled tiered cakes.  All of my single layered (one tier) are about 4" tall after the cake layers and filling. 

I am interested in making a rosette cake myself, so I have been reading about them.  One thing I did read is how much frosting is needed to make the rosettes.  So my guess, would have to be that the collapse would have been from the weight of the rosettes.

Sometimes layers will slide depending on the consistency of the filling, even buttercream.  I made a cake yesterday for my family and put a straw in the center to help me frost the cake.  I had pecans in my frosting and it was hard to frost. I had to use more pressure and the (3) layers wanted to slide some.  It was a 3 layered butter pecan cake.

Your cake is very pretty!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 10

There's no need to dowel a one tier cake.  And what do you mean by "collapsed"?

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 10

AI had made a buttercream ruffle cake the other day and not put it in the fridge, the ruffles just fell right off in our Texas heat!

Norasmom Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 10

Leah, she said it "cracked."  so I am thinking it was not firmed up enough?  

leah_s Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 10

"It collapsed in transport in their car."  Please describe.

Norasmom Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 10

That's what she said, it cracked.  So I'm assuming it may have cracked in the middle. no pictures, though, I wish she had taken some for me.  

leah_s Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 4:05pm
post #9 of 10

If it "cracked" then the bottom board wasn't sturdy enough.

Norasmom Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 4:06pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks Leah!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%