Name Impression

Decorating By RachelGearon Updated 7 Sep 2013 , 10:20pm by RachelGearon

RachelGearon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachelGearon Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 9:56am
post #1 of 18

AHi, I am making this cake this week and I'm just wondering how to do the name that is on the front? Is there a way to do it neatly without the impression alphabet?? If not I would have to buy the tool online asap as I live in a country town and we don't have a cake decorating shop, if anyone knows what the tool is called or can give me a link to a site that would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks!!

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3091338/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

17 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 10:31am
post #2 of 18

AI'm not sure if this helps but I purchased a set of an impression alphabet that would give this look, it was actually made for clay stone stamps (less expensive) from Hobby Lobby. If the letters are straight like that you might be able to get away with using a tool with a thin edge, just cut your plaque out and make the impression before applying to the cake-hope that makes sense.

I think Wilton has a letter impression set, the clay stone stamps can probably be found at JoAnn's or Michaels.

RachelGearon Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 11:03am
post #3 of 18

AThanks so much for answering! It has to say Shaz so the s would be hard to get neat. I am in australia and we don't have thoes shops but I will have a look around for some of them!! I did a search on google but I couldn't find anything, do you know what they are called?

Smckinney07 Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 11:15am
post #4 of 18

ANo problem, these are the ones I have. They're just called 'Clay Stamps' and they'd be the size you'd want. They have different kinds, if you do a search just make sure the size is close to these (I've found clay tools are less expensive then fondant tools so I try to substitute when I can).

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/16093682938517072317?hl=en&q=clay+stamps+letters&num=20&bav=on.2,or.&biw=1024&bih=672&bvm=pv.xjs.s.en_US.M4-36_38X9A.O&tch=1&ech=1&psi=DCEjUo2GJOaQ2QWu2YDoAg.1378033939655.5&sa=X&ei=FiEjUrLaHoSzqAHCkoDACw&ved=0CFYQ8wIwAQ

RachelGearon Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 11:25am
post #5 of 18

AThank you so much for your help!! I will have a look online for these.

Smckinney07 Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 11:36am
post #6 of 18

AYour welcome! I hope you find what your looking for, the cake is super cute. Oh another thought, you could bend a small cookie cutter with pliers if you have one or use metal ribbon from a hardware store to bend your own shapes-I've been looking at pinterest too much!

RachelGearon Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 11:37am
post #7 of 18

AI will definetly keep that in mind if I can't find the stamps. I love Pinterest!! Thanks for your help.!!

RachelGearon Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 3:22am
post #8 of 18

ADoes anyone have any ideas on where I could put a 50 on this cake?? It's going to be a 12" and a 10" stacked cake if that helps.

Smckinney07 Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 3:27am
post #9 of 18

AYou can put them on the top, standing up

Smckinney07 Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 3:30am
post #10 of 18

AOn the top of the cake I mean, you could cut the numbers out of Gumpaste, let them dry and attach to lollipop sticks-stick them in the center of the top tier. Or make ropes, bend them and let them setup in the shape of 50 same deal, attach to sticks

RachelGearon Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 3:58am
post #11 of 18

AThat's what I was thinking but wasnt sure how it would look. Thanks for your help!! I will upload a picture when I am done :)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 4:12am
post #12 of 18

Your cake is cute! The Clay folks have rollers & impression thingies that work on fondant/BC/modeling chocolate, as well as clay, some of them are pretty cute.  I bought the letters/numbers set.

RachelGearon Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 4:36am
post #13 of 18

AI had a look around the shops in my town today but didnt have any luck. I am in australia and we don't have a hobby lobby and our local craft shop didnt have any.

RachelGearon Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 6:18am
post #14 of 18

AOh and the wilton one is too small as my cake is 12" by 4" I think the letter will be too small.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 6:34am
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelGearon 

Oh and the wilton one is too small as my cake is 12" by 4" I think the letter will be too small.

If you are looking to replicate the lettering in the pic in your first post - it IS the Wilton Make Any Message Letter Press set.

It is available at heaps of places all over Australia - most of them offer online shop

http://bakingpleasures.com.au/p35/wilton-make-any-message-letter-press-set

If you don't have time to purchase one of these you CAN make a DIY one - You need a small piece of flat glass - print out the 'font' or letters of choice, spelling out the name you want - BUT when you print make sure you select the 'mirror image' option.

Place your printout under the piece of glass

Pipe over the lines using royal icing-  let dry - at least 12hours - you can overpipe if you want a 'deeper' impression.

Let it firm up and dry for as long as you can - preferably 24hours. 

When your fondant is still fresh, imprint the name onto your plaque by pressing the royal icing letters (still attached to the glass) into your fondant.

Its actually an easy way to transfer all sorts of designs and is easier than it sounds here -  lot harder to describe what to do than to show you!

Where abouts in Australia are you?

RachelGearon Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 8:14am
post #16 of 18

AThank you so much!! I had just give up on doing the name like that but I am definetly going to try this!! I am from Bathurst in regional NSW.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 12:57am
post #17 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelGearon 

Thank you so much!! I had just give up on doing the name like that but I am definetly going to try this!!
I am from Bathurst in regional NSW.

NOT so far from me ... I'm on the other side of the mountain in Kurrajong (downhill from Lithgow)

and as little bit of trivia ..... my father was born at Bathurst and attended St Stani's

RachelGearon Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 10:20pm
post #18 of 18

AOh wow, it's a small world!! Thanks for your help!! I ended up finding a proper impression pack but if I need a bigger one I will be doing it the way you said!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%