Cake Height. ..help!!

Decorating By chocaholikk Updated 30 Aug 2013 , 10:06pm by Relznik

chocaholikk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocaholikk Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 9

AOk so ive been baking for a while now but I still cant seem to understand y my cakes only rise upto 2 inches....what am I soing wrong? Im following the recipie to the dot. What can I do to make it rise to 3 or 4 inches??

8 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 9

What size pans are you baking in?   Most bake in 2" pans...bake 2 of them, split and fill them, stack them for a 4" cake.    For a 3" cake...bake in a 3" pan adding the appropriate amount of batter.  I'm a little confused of your exact problem.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 9

What's your recipe for an 8" round vanilla sponge?

What tin do you bake in?

What temperature?

chocaholikk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocaholikk Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 9

A@ddaigle. I bake the whole cake and then cut n fill. Rather than making 2 seperate ones and filling. Still the cakes are only 2 inches high.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 9

AA standard size cake pan is 2", so if your cakes are rising that high, that is correct. Most people make 2 of those to stack. Filling doesn't add all that much height.

If you only want to make one cake, you would need to get a 4" cake pan and put double the amount of batter that you put in the 2" pan.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 9

AMost recipes are written to yield 2 2-inch high cakes (assuming your pans are 8-9 inches round), are you mixing up a standard batch, pouring it in a 3 or 4 inch high tin and it's not rising at all?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 9

chocaholikk...I'm confused.   You are baking a cake...and it is 2" high.    That is how high it is supposed to be.    A 2" pan = a 2" cake...if you fill the batter up far enough.   You are getting what you should be getting.  What is it you are wanting?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 9:25pm
post #8 of 9

AMost of us bake two pans for each tier of cake. So put two layers from those two pans together, with filling in between, and there's your 4 inches. I collar my pans so they rise even higher, and once I've filled and iced and fondanted, mine are usually 5" tall, or a wee bit shorter.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 10:06pm
post #9 of 9

In the UK, most decent cake tins are at least 3" tall.

The professional tins I have - a make called Invicta - are all at least 3" and some 3.5", and the largest tin I have is 4" tall.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%