Fondx And Satin Ice

Decorating By Mae_mom Updated 27 Aug 2013 , 2:22am by NJsugarmama

Mae_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mae_mom Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 11:03am
post #1 of 4

I've used Satin Ice in the past and do like it, although as I expected, the black tore quite a bit.  No biggie.  It's not a big enough problem to make me not want to use it again.  ( I really don't like covering entire cakes in black anyway :) )

Here's the deal. I'm thinking of cutting WAY back on the cakes, to the point of almost quitting. However, I will of course honor the ones I have booked for the rest of the year.  Typically, I work with MMF (which I absolutely HATE but use due to the cost and familiarity) or Satin Ice.  I was just about to order more Satin Ice as I have a cake coming up with five sculpted characters that will need to stand on top of the cake.  However, I saw that I can get FondX for cheaper (per pound) and wondered about it.  I've read the other threads regarding the comparison but I'm wondering if it dries and stands enough to be used for sculpting on its own or does tylose or something else need to be added?  I am going for both workability AND cost here since I don't plan on doing this much longer.  :) 

Any thoughts on the matter? :)  Thanks so much!!!!!!!!  :)

3 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 11:20am
post #2 of 4

I use Satin Ice for my black, brown and hot pink.   I buy Fondx white and color it for everything else.   I like it.   Sweetwise has 25% coupons often or free shipping.   That's when I get it.   There are quite a few good brands out there...I would gather all of the advice...and then go shopping for the best bargain. 

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 4

I find Fondx to be way toooooo soft for me. I like to stick with fondarific. It's also on the soft size but sets nicely in the fridge.

NJsugarmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJsugarmama Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 2:22am
post #4 of 4

AHave you looked into modeling chocolate for your sculpting? I love it and prefer it to fondant any day, as it holds it's shape much easier. My Doc Mcstuffin characters in my photo's was MC. Just need melting "chocolate" and corn syrup. I use Merkens brand.

Just a thought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%