Using A Cake Dummie

Decorating By Declansmama Updated 21 Aug 2013 , 6:02am by helloIamSM

Declansmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Declansmama Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone! I have a few cake dummies and haven't used them yet. I was told to use plastic wrap under the fondant/buttercream if I would like to ever re use them. My question is... the dummies are so light! how do you get them covered (in fondant) without them moving all around on you? I see some awesome cakes made with dummies for pictures and displays but I don't want to waste fondant ($$) if it is very hard to do. Thanks for your help! :)

9 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declansmama  I was told to use plastic wrap under the fondant/buttercream if I would like to ever re use them.

Plastic wrap isn't necessary -- use soap and water for easy cleanup.

http://cakecentral.com/products/ateco-cast-iron-pronged-pivot-for-turntable

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 10

have you used MMF? It is so cheap and easy to make.

Declansmama Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 5:32am
post #4 of 10

ANo I haven't...I should give it a try thanks

whiteangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whiteangel Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 10

I cover mine in plastic wrap - just easier cleanup.  Otherwise you have to let dry forever.  I use them to practice new techniques so don't want to wait forever for them to dry. 

I put a good plop of BC on the turn table and smoosh the dummy down on it.  Acts like glue and keeps it from moving around while decorating.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 10

AI rub mine with a little shortening, and put the fondant on. If I'm done with it within a few days or a week, it usually just peels off. If it's hardened on there pretty solid, then I'll pop it into a thick plastic bag and smack it from the outside of the bag with a rolling pin.Couple smacks, and it all pretty much cracks right off. No soaking, no scrubbing, and the foam isn't damaged.

whiteangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whiteangel Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

I rub mine with a little shortening, and put the fondant on. If I'm done with it within a few days or a week, it usually just peels off. If it's hardened on there pretty solid, then I'll pop it into a thick plastic bag and smack it from the outside of the bag with a rolling pin.Couple smacks, and it all pretty much cracks right off. No soaking, no scrubbing, and the foam isn't damaged.

Cool idea.  Also allows for venting any frustration you just experienced!!!

Declansmama Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 3:34am
post #8 of 10

AThanks...I was going to try that but didn't think it was heavy enough to hold in place.

Declansmama Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 3:35am
post #9 of 10

AThanks! I will have to try just shortening...it will save on buttercream costs :-)

helloIamSM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helloIamSM Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 6:02am
post #10 of 10

I keep the dummy cake secure with buttercream too just a small circle on the bottom.  I also use plastic wrap but will try using shortening after reading this thread!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%