Ugliest Cake I Have Ever Made..any Clever Suggestions?

Decorating By dailey Updated 8 Sep 2013 , 8:54pm by AndreasCakes

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 28

AWell in my defense, the cake was the clients idea, lol! I am making an Aztec pyramid for a girls birthday and its really not what I am used to making. I enjoy making fun, frilly, pretty cakes...but this one is so drab and cold-looking. I wanted to add something to it but not sure what? Maybe flowers? I can't add anything that is not easily removable just in case the client doesn't like it however, I just feel this cake needs something to perk it up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

27 replies
BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 28

pictures?

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 28

AIt's hard to advise without a picture. I don't think I'd add flowers to it though, not if they want an accurate portrayal of the pyramid. A background can look nice if done well but it's hard to tell.

dailey Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 28

AHere is a picture of an Aztec pyramid, the cake will hopefully look similar. I am just starting to put the cake together so no pic yet. Since it is for a girls birthday, I was hoping to add a feminine touch. Thanks!

http://aztecsite.webs.com/photos/undefined/aztec-pyramid-1.jpg

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 28

AIf the girl asked for an Aztec pyramid for her birthday cake I'm guessing a "feminine touch" is not the look she's going for. Some green grass or vines might add dimension but maybe girlie is not this girl's thing!

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassyzan 

If the girl asked for an Aztec pyramid for her birthday cake I'm guessing a "feminine touch" is not the look she's going for. Some green grass or vines might add dimension but maybe girlie is not this girl's thing!

agree, also, talk any ideas over with your client

KLCCrafts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KLCCrafts Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 28

Assuming the customer is OK with it, you could try incorporating some Aztec symbols, such as the one below which is a flower symbol (google Aztec symbols for more ideas).

scwright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scwright Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 5:49pm
post #9 of 28

Well what colors are you going to be doing? You can do gold with hints of pink and that would give it a girly touch unless she doesn't like the color pink lol

JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 28

AIf I'm not mistaken that is the Myan pyramid at Chichen Itza. Maybe some Myan symbols or relics could add some "flavor" to the cake board.

beccaskitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccaskitchen Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:05pm
post #11 of 28

i agree with sassy sometimes your going to have requests that fall out of what you personally like. just consider this cake a learning project something to get you out of your comfort zone and remember the only thing that matters is if the clients love the cake you make!!

Smckinney07 Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:16pm
post #12 of 28

AI know what the pyramid looks like, that's why I said if they wanted an accurate portrayal of the cake adding flowers might not be a good idea. Maybe a background with the sun and clouds. I wasn't trying to be mean its just not a girly cake-I think bows, flowers, things like that when I hear girly. I obviously don't know your customer, you do. I'd just try to focus on details and shading-that's just me :)

I can understand how it could feel unfinished to you though

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:39pm
post #13 of 28

I've seen it too, and there's nothing right around it but some grass and a few trees (trees not close to it). It was 103 degrees F. My travel companion had a chocolate bar in her pocket.Oh dear.

I think Mayan symbols in color on the board around the pyramid would be good.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aztec&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=qE0SUsLoEoHF2AXCyoGoAw&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=585#fp=9d7ce406ce300ab6&q=mayan+symbols&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

I'd stay away from the chacmool (look it up if you want) as that is the place where the Mayans placed the still-beating heart after they ripped it out of the chest of the human sacrifice. Ick. Not very feminine birthday-ish.

Smckinney07 Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:45pm
post #14 of 28

A

Original message sent by shanter

I've seen it too, and there's nothing right around it but some grass and a few trees (trees not close to it). It was 103 degrees F. My travel companion had a chocolate bar in her pocket.Oh dear.

I think Mayan symbols in color on the board around the pyramid would be good. [URL=https://www.google.com/search?q=aztec&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=qE0SUsLoEoHF2AXCyoGoAw&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=585#fp=9d7ce406ce300ab6&q=mayan+symbols&tbm=isch&imgdii=_]https://www.google.com/search?q=aztec&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=qE0SUsLoEoHF2AXCyoGoAw&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=585#fp=9d7ce406ce300ab6&q=mayan+symbols&tbm=isch&imgdii=_[/URL]

I'd stay away from the chacmool (look it up if you want) as that is the place where the Mayans placed the still-beating heart after they ripped it out of the chest of the human sacrifice. Ick. Not very feminine birthday-ish.

That would be a cool way to add some detail. Melted chocolate, yuck, what a mess lol

shanter Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 7:20pm
post #15 of 28

On this page:

http://www.chichen-itza.co.uk/

It explains the serpent of the pyramid - on the equinoxes, it looks like a serpent is slithering down the side of the pyramid. For whimsey, you could give the serpent head at the bottom a little red tongue or something. icon_smile.gif

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 3:14am
post #16 of 28

The jungle around the Aztec pyramids are filled with some of the most colorful birds and flowers that you'll ever see.  Some of the Aztec headdresses and beaded garments are very bright and the patterns are exotic. 

I'd explain to the client that the cake will be OK without adding something colorful, but that by adding a few touches of color, it will look much better [and perhaps more feminine?].  All she can say is, "No, thanks."

shanter Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 4:36am
post #17 of 28

You might want to check whether the birthday girl wants Aztec or Mayan. Chichen Itza is Mayan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mesoamerican_pyramids

Laurelj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurelj Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 5:35am
post #18 of 28

AYou might try googling. "Quetzalcoatl". under images. Or "feathered serpent". This might give you some ideas ! Good luck :grin:

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 6:13am
post #19 of 28

Not sure if it matters to the customer, but that pic is a Mayan pyramid. I know you get that picture when your google aztec pyramid, but it's the internet

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 1:50pm
post #20 of 28

I like the suggestion smckinney07 made. You can construct a backboard to fasten to your base cake board. This could  be painted with the blue sky and clouds as seen in the picture you posted. This would set the stage with a background and lend an air of realism. As the others suggested, I wouldn't want to add flowers. This could possibly end up being one of your favorites. (Perhaps?) At any rate, you'd honor the girl's design and wishes. I'm waiting to see the picture you post.

Jan

dailey Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 5:41am
post #21 of 28

AThank you for all the suggestions and wealthy information! So many good ideas.

I think the main reason my customer didn't want anything added to the cake was because she wanted to keep the cost down. At this point, the stairs are driving me crazy so I may not have time to add anything to the cake after all. We'll see, wish me luck..I need it!

Sassyzan Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 4:52pm
post #22 of 28

APost pics here when you're done! I wanna see it!

dailey Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 2:28pm
post #23 of 28

AThanks everyone for the help with the cake..it was a huge hit!

I posted a pic in the quince section. :grin:

Sassyzan Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 2:41pm
post #24 of 28

AWell done.

KLCCrafts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KLCCrafts Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 4:39pm
post #25 of 28

The cake looks great!  Good job ;-D

dailey Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 5:29pm
post #26 of 28

AThanks!:)

AndreasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AndreasCakes Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 8:19pm
post #27 of 28

I remember an episode of Cake Boss where they made a pyramid and added some pretty purple flowers. Maybe try finding a picture of the cake from that episode for some inspiration.

AndreasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AndreasCakes Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 8:54pm
post #28 of 28

Nevermind. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%