Has Anyone Made This Cake Before?

Decorating By JPepper Updated 19 Aug 2013 , 3:29pm by BatterUpCake

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 8:49pm
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

I had seen a tutorial where they made a ruffle cake using modeling chocolate and said it could roll much thinner than you could achieve with fondant. Didn't mean to upset anyone. Who would have thought that would be such a big deal?

It's a huge deal! huge! Shame on you for having a new idea :P

It can be rolled thinner, but if your recipe isn't just right, or if you don't handle it just right, it's really hard to use is all.

I've made one with the same sort of 'flowers' just not a dome, used fondant on IMBC, nothing melted or drooped. I agree with not letting the fondant get too hard, otherwise they would be a nightmare to apply to the cake.

Unless you serve the cake chilled though, when you cut the flowers it will get messy, they push into the buttercream and kind of slide about. I like the idea of taking them off and serving them on the plate, would be pretty.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 9:12pm
post #32 of 37
Quote:

I had seen a tutorial where they made a ruffle cake using modeling chocolate and said it could roll much thinner than you could achieve with fondant. Didn't mean to upset anyone. Who would have thought that would be such a big deal?

Well, I'm so upset I canceled all my orders and am going to bed for the rest of the week!  icon_biggrin.gif   I never even saw your post and was talking to someone else. Sorry about that! 

The same look would be really hard to get in chocolate, it would just look different, that's all. And the color would be more trouble to achieve since modeling chocolate doesn't start out white (if you're using real chocolate, it's kind of beige-yellow). So when a person is thinking light pink, modeling chocolate is not what comes to mind. You can use white color to get it to light pink, but why bother because then you're adding stuff to the flowers that, at least for me, is something I usually don't ask my customers to eat. (titanium dioxide) And if they're not eating them anyway...

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 9:20pm
post #33 of 37

No...to anyone in general. Several people mentioned it and I never heard of BC melting fondant.

lindseyjhills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseyjhills Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:19pm
post #34 of 37

AJust thought I'd weigh in on the rolling modelling chocolate thin enough issue. If I want to make delicate chocolate flowers I run my modelling chocolate through the pasta/lasagne attachment on my Kitchen Aid - it works great as long as it's not got to the too soft stage (I use the same method for gum paste and fondant too). I think this technique would speed up the process for making all those circles regardless of the chosen medium.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 3:10pm
post #35 of 37
Quote:

Why all the worry about fondant melting on BC? BC cakes are covered in Fondant all of the time. How would this be different?

An example of what I was referring to about fondant melting is a cake I made for my daughter last week: It was just buttercream petal effect and I put a 50/50 gumpaste/fondant fantasy flower on top. The cake was in a covered tupperware cake carrier overnight and the next morning the flower had melted and gone completely flat. I've found that if you don't cover the cake, you don't seem to have that problem. I guess the tupperware holds in too much moisture/humidity.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 3:12pm
post #36 of 37

Forgot to add that I use ABC with half butter, half shortening and heavy cream as my liquid.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 3:29pm
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnybird 

An example of what I was referring to about fondant melting is a cake I made for my daughter last week: It was just buttercream petal effect and I put a 50/50 gumpaste/fondant fantasy flower on top. The cake was in a covered tupperware cake carrier overnight and the next morning the flower had melted and gone completely flat. I've found that if you don't cover the cake, you don't seem to have that problem. I guess the tupperware holds in too much moisture/humidity.

makes sense!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%