Making A Large Amount Of Smbc

Decorating By TheSugarLab Updated 13 Aug 2013 , 3:31am by icer101

TheSugarLab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSugarLab Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 8

Hey folks, 

I have two wedding coming up that are 4-tiered and 3-tired covered in SMBC. I have a few questions that I'm hoping y'all could answer.

Is there an easy way to make a large amount of it? I have one 7qt mixer and two 6 qt mixers. 

Can I freeze it? Generally how long does it last? 

I've been able to do a quadruple batch in my 7 qt and a triple batch in my 6 qt, although that's the limit and it can get a bit messy. I would prefer to be able to make it all in one go but I don't know if that is possible. 

Thanks for any insight you can give. I use FromScratch's recipe, which I LOVE and if you haven't tried it you need to get on it. 

Thanks, 

Ali 

7 replies
ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSugarLab 

Hey folks, 

I have two wedding coming up that are 4-tiered and 3-tired covered in SMBC. I have a few questions that I'm hoping y'all could answer.

Is there an easy way to make a large amount of it? I have one 7qt mixer and two 6 qt mixers. 

Can I freeze it? Generally how long does it last? 

I've been able to do a quadruple batch in my 7 qt and a triple batch in my 6 qt, although that's the limit and it can get a bit messy. I would prefer to be able to make it all in one go but I don't know if that is possible. 

Thanks for any insight you can give. I use FromScratch's recipe, which I LOVE and if you haven't tried it you need to get on it. 

Thanks, 

Ali 

the size of the batch is limited to the size of your mixer, as you've already discovered.

You can freeze it. It is good in a freezer for 3-6 months.

If the wedding is in a couple of weeks then put it in the fridge.

I would store it in manageable batches so that you can bring it to room temp faster, like 1 or 2 qt containers. Something that will fit in the micro in case you need to zap it for a few seconds to get the middle soft. This will also allow you to take out what you need instead of defrosting everything at once

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 8

I have a big stainless steel bowl from ikea which I use. I have to use an electric hand mixer to whip it up which is a bit of a PITA but my stand mixer broke so I have to work with what I've got :) On the plus size I can make massive batches. The most I've needed to make so far is a 20 egg white recipe but I bet I could make a 30 egg white recipe if I wanted to. 

Ditto on the freezer! I usually double wrap it in saran wrap into a log shape (think icing plug if you have seen that thread) and transfer it to a bowl when I want to defrost it. When it is frozen it is easy to chop it into small pieces so it defrosts quicker. 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSugarLab 

I've been able to do a quadruple batch in my 7 qt and a triple batch in my 6 qt,

TheSugarLab,  do you have a 7 qt. mixer and a 6 qt. mixer?

Because you could consider buying one additional 7 qt. mixer BOWL. Then you could make a fresh-  8 batch quantity of icing with only two bowls.  just a thought.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 12:02am
post #5 of 8

ACan't smbc stay at room temp for a while? How long in adva ce do you actually need to make it?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 1:08am
post #6 of 8

AI am irrationally careful with mine, and room temp smbc creeps me out. Unless it's room temp because I just made it and I'm working with it, [B]or[/B] it's room temp on a cake because it's waiting to be consumed very soon, then it goes in the fridge or freezer. I know it's fine out for certain lengths of time,but iI can't bring myself to do it.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 3:26am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

I am irrationally careful with mine, and room temp smbc creeps me out. Unless it's room temp because I just made it and I'm working with it, or it's room temp on a cake because it's waiting to be consumed very soon, then it goes in the fridge or freezer. I know it's fine out for certain lengths of time,but iI can't bring myself to do it.

I had a batch of IMBC go bad on me a few years ago, now I am the same way. I'm pretty sure it was that I actually got a batch of butter that was nearing rancid, and the 24 hours in the buttercream was all it needed to turn, but I'm still paranoid.

Every time I take a bite of room temp frosting I have this quick flashback, lol.

I make all mine for the week at once and refrigerate for a few days until it is needed.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 3:31am
post #8 of 8

I make and  freeze smbc and imbc all the time I put it in nice freezer containers and then wrap the containers in heavy foil. I just have to plan ahead most of the time. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%