Help! Fondant Melted Into My Ganache

Decorating By passion4baking Updated 13 Aug 2013 , 10:02pm by passion4baking

passion4baking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
passion4baking Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 10

AOn friday I made and covered it with ganache. I put some fondant decorations on it and the next day the fondant started to melt into the ganache. Would this happen if I was to cover a cake with fondant? I really liked how smooth the cake looked but I'm afraid that this will happen again. I used two cups of chocolate chips to one cup of heavy cream, I let it set over night and used it friday. Did I do something wrong? I would appreciate any advice.

9 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 10

Was the cake refrigerated at any time?

passion4baking Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 10

AI put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes and took it out before I put the decorations on. Could have there still been some condensation?

maybenot Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 1:39am
post #4 of 10

Yes, absolutely. 

Did you also use water to attach the fondant decos?

passion4baking Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 1:49am
post #5 of 10

No I didn't since it was just decorations and they were on the top of the cake.

maybenot Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 2:02am
post #6 of 10

Well, since ganache isn't a water based icing, the only thing that makes sense is condensation. 

The result would be at its worst if the cake was in an airtight plastic container and/or the room was very hot [over 80F) where it was stored.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 3:45am
post #7 of 10

Was the fonant hard when you put the decorations on? What was the weather like? What were the decorations like when you put them on?

Just as an aside, ingredients for ganache should be measured by weight, rather than by volume.

passion4baking Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 10

it was in the mid 70s that day, the fondant felt like a firm play dough. When I put them on they were fine, then in like 4 hours the fondant started to melt. I'm going to need to buy a scale then because I measured by volume.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 10

D'oh! I meant ganache. Was the ganache hard when you put the decorations on? And when you say 'melt', do you mean the fondant softened, or that it got sticky, or that it was a puddle?

Did the fondant melt only where it touched the ganache, or all over?

passion4baking Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 10:02pm
post #10 of 10

The ganache was hard and when I say melt it got super sticky and it only happened where the letters where at.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%